Currys policy on terminated payments?

A friend was paying for a laptop via monthly direct debit for his girlfriend, but now they have split bitterly, he wants to end the payments.

If he ended the direct debit, what will happen? Would Curry's send bailiffs to his or his ex-girlfriend's address, where the laptop is?

Depends on whether it was a hire purchase agreement or an unsecured loan that he happened to take out at the same time as he purchased a laptop.

It may be the case that even if he returns the laptop, he will still have to pay the outstanding sum.

He needs to read the finance agreement.

I imagine it may have been through HFC bank, as we had a couple of things on hire purchase from Currys/ PC World through them but I think they changed.. not sure when though. I imagine that the best bet is to read the paperwork... I would guess that the debt would be chased by them and letters sent, and maybe passed onto a debt collection agency if not paid, which will affect his credit rating.

Whoever has ownership of laptop should pay the whole bill. Legally, the laptop belongs to whoevers name the loan was taken out in. So if its all on your friend, its up to him to make sure those bills are paid, as so not to get a negative credit rating.

If it was me, and wanted the laptop, would buy out the remainder of the what was left and have the person whose name it is in pay it off.

Archived