Are public sector strikes good for businessess - profits up 40% for many

The boost in sales was recorded in Fulton and Masons,Pondstretcher,and Yours for 99.These are hardly Bond Street names!

Facts update: Experian carried out a survey across 50 shopping centres and discovered a 38% rise in sales on Wednesday.

Anecdote update: I happened to be in town Wednesday and it was like a Saturday in the shops and bars I visited.

Facts update: Experian carried out a survey across 50 shopping centres and discovered a 38% rise in sales on Wednesday.

Anecdote update: I happened to be in town Wednesday and it was like a Saturday in the shops and bars I visited.

Nothing to do with the fact that there where 3,000 extra people in town who where on the marches and at the rallys ?

Nothing to do with the fact that there where 3,000 extra people in town who where on the marches and at the rallys ?

You deserve a prize.

Perhaps it just tells us that the people who were on strike are so well paid that they can afford to spend their day without pay in shops, bars and restaurants.

You have to say its a far cry from the strikes of the 70s/80s when the strikers were drinking a cup of bovril to keep warm, or standing near a fire cannister trying to keep warm.

The strikers of 2011 hit the high street and were on a spending spree, only taking a rest to fill up on a McDonalds, or a Gingerbread Latte (the 2011 equivalent of warm bovril on the miners picket line) from starbucks.

I rekon had the miners back in 1984 hit the shops with their credit cards, instead of standing on the picket lines, the miners strike would not have lasted a month.

there will be businesses rubbing their hands at the thought of another strike, hoping and praying for another strike to be called so they can have another spending bonanza, from the very strikers who claim to be poor

What was spent on Wednesday will not be spent on subsequent days-its a matter of displacement.Also a 40% rise in turnover for one day will have no impact on profits.I should avoid Dragons Den if I were you:hihi:

But 2,000,000 days pay lost by the public sector means that business will get a small break in its tax burden. It probably equates to around £200 million that we won't need to pay in taxes, or £8 for each tax payer. Every little helps. What will you spend yours on?

I suppose the other spin off will be cafes cashing in on food and drink from strikers who were not dining in subsidised staff canteens.

Archived