The old Northern General Hospital

I was born at the NGH in 1954 when it was the old City General Hospital. I used to live nearby in Pitsmoor so the hospital was always within sight. I also had to walk (yes walk) there when I sprained my ankle when I was 12!

In 1976, I obtained the post of shorthand typist in the x-ray department and came to know some of the doctors. I do remember Mr Lunt who scared the living daylights out of everybody he met he was so nasty. I remember that most people called him 'Lunt, the ****' (rhymes with)! Also, Dr Flint who once reduced me to a gibbering wreck just by asking me to read a report dictated to me by one of the doctors in radiography!

Also, I think my aunty, Rita Peace, may have been a Matron at the good old Northern General sometime, possibly in the 50s and 60s. She was apparently a typical matron, much more frightening than the ones the lovely Hattie Jacques played in the Carry Ons! :)

I had my 2 daughters there in 1968 and 1971 and Mr Lunt was who I saw I can remember saying I don't know about Lunt he is certainly blunt. That's from a patient's point of view I wouldn't like to work for him.

hi everybody.i was born in the city general as it was known then in late January 1948. we lived in a flat at 33 firthpark road opposite the church on firth park rd,near the beginning 0f owler lane. my dad used to work at the city general as a painter and decorator, when I was a bit older I was allowed to go onto the end of Barnsley road,wait by the small metal telephone box(thats still there), I was allowed to do this as there was no road to cross and wait for my dad coming home there was no entrance on herries,or Barnsley road and the main bottom enterance ( now different) was the only way in, can remember cream ambulances with the bell outside no sirens then.

when dad finished his tea he always saved me some and it always tasted better than what I"d had earlier

dad got a job at netheredge hospital and we moved to greenhill estate

I remember it like yesterday........

My grandma and granddad lived at 29 Firth Park Road

• 2 weeks later...
I was born at the NGH in 1954 when it was the old City General Hospital. I used to live nearby in Pitsmoor so the hospital was always within sight. I also had to walk (yes walk) there when I sprained my ankle when I was 12!

In 1976, I obtained the post of shorthand typist in the x-ray department and came to know some of the doctors. I do remember Mr Lunt who scared the living daylights out of everybody he met he was so nasty. I remember that most people called him 'Lunt, the ****' (rhymes with)! Also, Dr Flint who once reduced me to a gibbering wreck just by asking me to read a report dictated to me by one of the doctors in radiography!

Also, I think my aunty, Rita Peace, may have been a Matron at the good old Northern General sometime, possibly in the 50s and 60s. She was apparently a typical matron, much more frightening than the ones the lovely Hattie Jacques played in the Carry Ons! :)

Something else about the Northern General Hospital comes to mind. Back in 1955, when I was barely a year old, my mother suffered a severe fit and was rushed into the hospital as an emergency. After loads of tests, x-rays and intensive examinations by eminent orthopaedic doctors, Dr Pappworth being one of them, at the age of 33, she was diagnosed as having terminal cancer of the spine and basically sent home to die! FIFTY-ONE years later, my mother did eventually die: of a stroke, not cancer!

For anyone who worked at the NGH in the 70's and beyond - very sad news received this week that Kath Richardson who trained at NGH and who worked there as Staff Nurse, Sister, Matron and latterly Nurse Director has sadly passed away at the young age of 57 years.

Anyone who had worked with her will know what a loss to the nursing profession her death will be.

My thoughts are with all those who knew and loved her.

RIP Kath

Edited by Daven

My Grandmother did her nurses training and worked up to matron at the Northern Gwen Crisp then Gwen Kitterringham if anyone remembers her?

I have just found a thank you card from Gwen Kitteringham from when I looked after her many years ago at the Northern General. Lovely lady

• 2 years later...

I am a member of the Sheffield Hospitals History Group. We are currently in the process of preparing some display boards in the Clock Tower, illustrating the history of the NGH. I am currently looking at nursing from the 60s to the present day. Any photos or memories you have of the period would be greatly appreciated. Pictures and items of interest from any period are also welcome - we can photograph or copy anything you wish to keep. You can contact the group on sheffhhg@gmail.com. Many thanks

Hi jennybongo - I was a student nurse at the Northern General in the early 1970s. The hospital is so much bigger now that whenever I go there I get lost. When I was there, the children's wards were in the upper part of the grounds. As far as I can tell from the "multimap" aerial view the two single-storey buildings are still there, now surrounded by newer buildings but I don't know what they are used for now. Ward 16 was for children between the ages of about 1 and 10, and Ward 17 had a 10-cubicle nursery for babies, and also took 10 to 16 year-olds. I spent three months on Ward 17 and a month on nights mostly on Ward 16. There would obviously have been staff changes by the late 1970s but when I was there, Sister Russ was in charge of Ward 17. Maria Russ [1927-1988] was a large, tough, no-nonsense Yugoslav who ran the ward with efficient discipline and certainly knew her stuff - one of the best sisters I ever worked for. Dr Heggarty was the paediatrician whom we saw most of - an excellent doctor. Here is a photo, taken with Ward 17 behind the group - I am easy to spot! I am standing behind our tutor, Mary Peddle - a wonderful, warm-hearted person, if somewhat scatterbrained...

I know I am going off topic, but I clicked on your link and I enjoyed looking at your photos, very interesting.

Yes, I can hardly believe it was almost half a century ago. The Northern General was a large hospital then, but it is huge now and I always get lost when I go there. There were some wonderful characters among the staff - someone mentioned Dr Flint. Jim Flint was a superb consultant physician and an excellent teacher. Dr Hugh Heggarty (now enjoying well-earned retirement at York) was the best paediatrician I ever met, and Norma Bronks (Assistant Matron) the best all-round nurse.

Its coming up to my 50th anniversary of my stay in the Northern General. 19th July 1966 I was taken in and 26th July had part of my lung removed. I seem to recall being in intensive care when England won the world cup. The prognosis was limited life style but 50 years on I am still quite fit and the mother of three children. Happy days.

Just looking through the thread .My mum worked on Ward 4a n 4b in the 70s n 80s as a cleaner and loved her job there.I always remember her mentioning a dr called Mick Fines also a dr O Gorman.Dad was a patient in ward 21 in 1966 his dr was Mr Flint and Dad thought the world of him.