Supermarkets I shop at them but i hate them.

When I shop at the supermarkets i feel that the experience is one of retail deception. Price cuts yet my overall bill goes up. Price displays that give you the impression that a product is cheaper than it is.

The worst was a few years ago a supermarket selling a well known DVD cheaper that anyone else the title and price was in big letters £9.99. in very small letters it said with any other full priced dvd or £14.99. How many people would realize when they got to the checkout.

The next time you shop take note and lets post what we see here. Its time these methods were stopped

When I shop at the supermarkets i feel that the experience is one of retail deception. Price cuts yet my overall bill goes up. Price displays that give you the impression that a product is cheaper than it is.

The worst was a few years ago a supermarket selling a well known DVD cheaper that anyone else the title and price was in big letters £9.99. in very small letters it said with any other full priced dvd or £14.99. How many people would realize when they got to the checkout.

The next time you shop take note and lets post what we see here. Its time these methods were stopped

Old saying "Let the buyer beware", for evey one of us who spots the trick, 3 dont !! :thumbsup:

Shop elsewwhere-simple as or do you relish a moan.Are you the same person with a boisterous neighbour?

This is a phenomenon worth looking for during every economic downturn. Product prices stay the same or rise slightly whilst either the amount of the product itself is reduced or the means of using the product is increased (eg a cap on a detergent bottle may be made slightly larger meaning that you use up the product more quickly).

Sometimes this is related to the product manufacturers rather than the supermarkets, but as supermarkets release more and more of their own 'value' brands I'm sure you can find many cases of the retailer themselves altering their products to make more profits. In any case, supermarkets are not reducing their retail prices in line with the reduction in product. There's quite a bit about it online, but here are a selection of articles that cover what has been happening to supermarket products:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/04/bignames_smallerproducts.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4482246_recognize-deceptive-grocery-packaging.html

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2008/07/29/hidden-price-increases-at-the-grocery-store/

Archived