Spooner family of Crookes

ldm30

thank you for your interest.I think that the Spooner road in Broomhill predates George who was born around 1900.I do not know who it was named after .I do however know that a family of Spooners lived there in the 1890s. They were however very humble people as far as I know so it was not named after them. Something of a mystery ?

thank you for your interest.I think that the Spooner road in Broomhill predates George who was born around 1900.I do not know who it was named after .I do however know that a family of Spooners lived there in the 1890s. They were however very humble people as far as I know so it was not named after them. Something of a mystery ?

Thanks for that ldm. A bricklayer told me that me about the Spooner family in the Fox and Duck. I think the John Smith's must have clouded his thoughts.

• 4 months later...

Hello Idm30 and Ironmonger,

I first met Tim Spooner 1961 on ONC Metallurgy course at Shalesmoor.

He ran an MG TD sports car and his dad had an MG TC.

We went to Oulton Park in say 1962 , me and a friend in my Austin Nippy and Tim and a friend in his MG. We had a crash near the Cat and Fiddle , and Tim drove all the way back to Sheffield for his dads car, I think an MG Magnette and towed me all the way home. Arrived back about 4 am.

That was the type of family I remember.

Saw Tim off and on for a few years then lost track of him.

Gary Marshman North Wales

I am glad you remember Tim. He was a good lad.I can remember being his navigator in some rally using that self same MGTD . Charging about in the rain ,snow and ice in that open car in some wilderness or other.

Very brave of you to go to Oulton park in a nippy!.

Now for the bad bit.

Poor Tim died young .I cannot give you a date but I would guess he would have been in his early 30's . He never married. I cannot now recall what the cause was .. Strangely his father died at very nearly the same time .Both were gone in the space of approximately 2 weeks. He had 2 sisters ,Joan and Pamela but I lost touch with them many years ago.

The Spooners were a very old Crooks family .I believe if you walk by first farm you can still GS (George Spooner) 17?? . engraved on a wall in the house side. There is also a Spooner wheel in Riverlyn.

Thank you for your interest.

Mike aka -LDM30

ps; I married George Spooners stunning daughter Julia.

Hello Idm30,

Thanks for the update . That is so sad on the death of Tim. I worked briefly at BSC Tubes Div. Rutland Road 1970 to 1972, and when leaving the Manager asked if I could recommend a replacement. I suggested Tim {remembering his kind action of 1962} and he got the job in the sales office. Alas he was not to last more than a month or so.

He called on my house in Sandygate Road afterwards when I returned home for a while and he had crashed his lovely AC 2.6 Ace near Dore Moor Inn , and had bought a new MG Midget. He used to drink in a pub in Hatherage , and I joined him a couple of times . Then in 1977 I left Sheffield so lost touch .

You say he died around the 30 mark , he was a good 3 to 5 years older than I, so in 1975 , surely would have been 36 years at least ?

Any suggestions

Good to hear from you and you married Tim's sister ?

Could this be the death registration for George:

Death Index: 1916-2005

George Edward Spooner

Birth Date:

22 Aug 1900

Date of Registration:

Oct-Nov-Dec 1974

Age at Death:

Registration district:

Sheffield

Inferred County:

Yorkshire West Riding, South Yorkshire

Volume:

Page:

Hello Duffems,

Yes that could fit in for the death of Gerorge Spooner , Tim's father. I may have had a drink occasionally around 1972 with Tim , in Hatherage , then recommended Tim for the job at BSC.

So Tim could have died around Dec 1974 ?

Archived