Can your benefits be cut altogether ?

There are different rules for different benefits. If for example you win the lottery jackpot you would lose all your means-tested benefits if you were getting any but keep child benefit if you had children that qualified. If you go to prison you'd lose everything, even a state pension.

There are different rules for different benefits. If for example you win the lottery jackpot you would lose all your means-tested benefits if you were getting any but keep child benefit if you had children that qualified. If you go to prison you'd lose everything, even a state pension.

My Bold=

If you are a pensioner yes you do lose your state pension but if you are not a pensioner your national Insurance contributions get paid while you are inside serving a sentence.

I mean, under the worst case scenario, can it legally be done ? - thankfully I'm not claiming any at the moment but it would be good to know what could happen.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldnt have thought so.

Not unless your an illegal who shouldnt be in the country or your in full time work and so arent entitled.

I mean, under the worst case scenario, can it legally be done ? - thankfully I'm not claiming any at the moment but it would be good to know what could happen.

Thanks in advance.

This question really is asking if it is legal to starve someone to death in Britain by removal of all benefits. I really hope that we are more civilised than that.

Thanks in advance.

strangely enough, despite benefit rates being the minimum amount the government i.e. says you need to live on, they can be cut or stopped.

of course the law is an ass as always.

if i were on benefits and they were stopped for some reason, i would lose everything i posses including my home.

should this happen, i would be obliged to commit an imprisonable offence which would result in the govt i.e. taxpayer, spending a lavish 45 grand a year to keep me incarcerated.

most of the country is grafting for 40 hours a week just to earn a third of this amount before tax.

little wonder that for some, being in prison is a lifestyle choice.

This question really is asking if it is legal to starve someone to death in Britain by removal of all benefits. I really hope that we are more civilised than that.

So far as I know, the only circumstances under which your benefits can be completely withdrawn, is if the DWP find that you actually have enough money to live on.

People claiming JSA who refuse to look for work, can have their benefits cut, and may end up rendering themselves homeless as a result, which would leave them living in a hostel somewhere; but (again, so far as I know, I may be wrong) they would not be left with absolutely nothing.

strangely enough, despite benefit rates being the minimum amount the government i.e. says you need to live on, they can be cut or stopped.

of course the law is an ass as always.

if i were on benefits and they were stopped for some reason, i would lose everything i posses including my home.

should this happen, i would be obliged to commit an imprisonable offence which would result in the govt i.e. taxpayer, spending a lavish 45 grand a year to keep me incarcerated.

In circumstances where total withdrawal of benefits is ever likely to happen, you would have an alternative option of going to work.

So far as I know, the only circumstances under which your benefits can be completely withdrawn, is if the DWP find that you actually have enough money to live on.

People claiming JSA who refuse to look for work, can have their benefits cut, and may end up rendering themselves homeless as a result, which would leave them living in a hostel somewhere; but (again, so far as I know, I may be wrong) they would not be left with absolutely nothing.

It depends on the circumstances as to why you would lose your benefits...If you walk out of a job then it's 6 months benefits stopped.

If you don't attend the Work Programme you get 2 weeks stopped for the 1st appointment missed, another 2 weeks for the second appointment missed and 26 weeks for the 3rd appointment missed. They then have to apply for a different benefit and you can be turned down for this.

It seems they are really clamping down on it as I have seen some of the cases of people having benefits stopped.......

Archived