Where are you Christmas shopping this year, and why?

Where are you Christmas shopping 2011?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you Christmas shopping 2011?

• Sheffield centre
    • Meadowhall
    • Sheffield local shops (please state in post)
    • Rotherham
    • Doncaster
    • Other South Yorkshire (please state in post)
    • Manchester
    • Birmingham
    • London
    • Other (please state in post)

Some of mine has been local (from local shops rather than chains) but then I bought a couple of things in the summer from a gallery in Teesside, some from a local gallery in the Peak District, I've made a load of them and got others online or from Coles, so there's no single place that I've used for more than a couple of items. I'm also giving family memberships to several Yorkshire attractions as presents to some friends, including Magna, The Deep and Eureka.

My parents asked in October whether we could give presents a complete miss this year, which is all very well except I had their present made in June, at the gallery where I got their present a couple of years ago, and to match with the same palette. I can't afford to buy things in one go, so it has to be done piecemeal through the year.

I've done all my shopping online too. I've been to the city centre and Meadowhall and couldn't get away quickly enough. I feel so sorry for the retailers who are trying to sell stock which has been imported in bulk and sent out to every store and outlet across the country.

I went shopping in London last week and didn't buy a thing. The independent traders have, by and large, fallen by the wayside and what is left is mass-produced stuff at "affordable" prices.

At least on the internet you have a range and choice at your fingertips and can buy without being forced to hear the retailers' choice in muzak and the same old carols.

As I say, I feel very sorry indeed for the retailers who are struggling in a recession, but the shopping experience they are offering is poor.

Got my shopping done and dusted in meadowhall in october (took my temp when I got home as its the first time ive stuck to my resolution on that idea :hihi: ) so glad I did as now as Im on my way to work I see people struggling with so much shopping! Even today at MH was busy decided to treat myself and went early think everyone had the same idea!

I know internet shopping is put forward as hassle free and far more convenient, but does anybody else find the bit where you actually GET the goods as much of a pain as I do?

We've had a DAB radio left in our blue bin for several days

We've had post office items only available to collect at times before the baby wakes up

We've had single orders from one retailer arrive in FIVE different parcels all delivered by different drivers on different days...

I much prefer click and collect!

Archived