Where are you Christmas shopping this year, and why?

Where are you Christmas shopping 2011?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you Christmas shopping 2011?

• Sheffield centre
    • Meadowhall
    • Sheffield local shops (please state in post)
    • Rotherham
    • Doncaster
    • Other South Yorkshire (please state in post)
    • Manchester
    • Birmingham
    • London
    • Other (please state in post)

For the Christmas presents I make - which, in recent years, has been most of them - I have to buy online, as the raw materials aren't available locally or, in some cases, not available in B&M shops at all. I've used Folksy and Etsy to support small, independent craft businesses, which is sort of the internet equivalent of shopping locally.

I know internet shopping is put forward as hassle free and far more convenient, but does anybody else find the bit where you actually GET the goods as much of a pain as I do?

We've had a DAB radio left in our blue bin for several days

We've had post office items only available to collect at times before the baby wakes up

We've had single orders from one retailer arrive in FIVE different parcels all delivered by different drivers on different days...

I much prefer click and collect!

The trick is if possible to get them delivered to work or a place where you know someone will be in. As for the five different parcels from one retailer, I think they may have been a dropship retailer, one who does carry the stock themselves, but has the distributor/manufacturer deliver on their behalf. It is a common practice amongst online retailers, so they can offer a competitive price to the customer.

Where are you Christmas shopping this year? Are you spending your money locally and keeping local people in jobs

You mean local shop assistants selling imported Chinese made tat at minimum wage with the money going back to China so that they can lend us more money to get even further into debt buying their tat?

Nope.

I avoid Christmas shopping in town completely now. Too many aggressive chuggers, people doing surveys and other assorted encumbrances.

"Street furniture" has turned Fargate into a flippin' obstacle course.

If the council and shops want my dosh to be spent locally, they need to sweep away these irritants.

Same as DaFoot here.

Presents I'm after (I do give them a lot of thought :D) are most often unavailable in stores altogether.

Either because it's vintage/collector/very rare stuff (e.g. Steel Battalion on original xbox, complete/boxed/etc. for my brother who collects), or because there is no local stockist (try finding just about anything reviewed on the RegHardware around Sheffield :rolleyes:).

For those presents which are stocked locally, unfortunately they are -as a rule- cheaper to buy online, even from the same retailer.

If bricks-and-mortar retailers were not so haughty about bartering/haggling (as in: not so precious about their 100+% mark-up), I would shop locally a lot more. Can't have their cake and eating I'm afraid.

E.g. I make it a point to buy high-ticket Hi-Fi/AV gear from Sheffield Richer Sounds (and have done so for well over 10 years), in equal measure (i) because they price-match with online retailers without fuss and (ii) because of the service. My "present to myself" this year will most probably be bought from RS Sheffield ;)

on the subject of which - Go Outdoors (previously CCC) price match with internet prices :)

I don't know about online prices, but Homebase pricematch too - just ask

There are a few things I've bought on the internet that I wouldn't have purchased if I'd seen them in real life first (though electrical goods don't fall into that category, but some decent info on a full list of features is often lacking, online or in a 'real' store! )

I voted 'other' because I'm not doing Christmas shopping. I've cancelled Christmas because we're skint :(
Actually, I quite fancy a retail free Christmas - and just celebrate the important parts... though the family squabbling and politicking doesn't really make that viable :rolleyes:

Actually, I quite fancy a retail free Christmas - and just celebrate the important parts... though the family squabbling and politicking doesn't really make that viable :rolleyes:

I've just made it perfectly clear to everyone that I'm not doing Christmas at all, can't afford presents and obviously don't want any. Am having the family to mine for new years though so I guess there'll be some extra food (and drink!!) shopping but that's all! I love Christmas usually though so am very disappointed but we just can't afford presents, tree etc etc :( :(

Archived