Cheapest place to buy a kindle?

Well if you want, you can even get it to talk to you.

I thought that one of the advantages of the Kindle (and other e-book readers) was that it would reduce the number of trees which had to be chopped down to be converted to paper to produce books/newspapers.

I thought that one of the reasons that there is no VAT on books and newspapers is that they are 'educational'.

Why does HMG charge 20% VAT on Kindle Newspaper subscriptions and on e-books?

Who is being green here?

One disadvantage to think about if you are plumping for the Kindle:-

I was told when I bought my e-book (not a kindle) that the kindle only allowed you to get your books from Amazon, whereas the one I bought was able to have e-books from pretty much anywhere. Quite limiting, really.

You were told wrong then. Ebooks from any source and in any format can be converted using Calibre (free download) and read on the Kindle.

Read a book. 2 pages at a time.

You have 2 pages open in your hand at any time.

Read a Kindle, 1/4 to 1/3rd of a page text on screen.

You'll soon get bored. If your an avid reader.

An EBook is an Ebook. There's no limitations.

Just download the EBook, and convert at your leisure.

As usual, someone will tell me I'm wrong !

'Google' usually finds good results for EBook converters.

The one thing you're correct about is the fact that you are wrong. For instance you actually have the full page on the Kindle as default. The only reason you'd have 1/3rd of a page on screen is if you have bad eyesight and need the characters enlarging for easy reading. This is surely a good thing?

Also reading on a kindle is a lot less stressful on the eyes than reading on an ebook reader on a computer. This is due to there being no backlight.

Incidentally, I didn't think I'd like the kindle, my parents have one each and I eventually bought one just to shut them up going on about how good they are. I'm now converted. A great piece of kit.

You were told wrong then. Ebooks from any source and in any format can be converted using Calibre (free download) and read on the Kindle.

Calibre won't convert DRM-protected ebooks. Well, it will... but not without potentially naughty third-party add-ons.

Calibre will happily convert most unprotected formats for use on the Kindle, though.

Archived