Ooops!! I don't think the insurance companies are going to be too happy

But according to foxy lady, they would be at fault: "If people are involved in a multi vehicle accident then they were traveling to fast to enable them to stop in an emergency situation unless of course they were involved through being hit from behind."

Which is clearly nonsense.

I would have put such a senario in the being hit from behind or run into category as opposed to the not being able to stop in an emergency situation. It seems rather different from following vehicles travelling to fast to avoid ploughing into cars that have already come to a halt, or are you simply nit picking for the sake of it?

There are a couple of updates on this story from todays news.

Driver who caused supercar crash in Japan admits he was speeding

The 60-year-old self-employed man from Chikushino in southern Fukuoka, who has not been named, told police he was driving over the 80km per hour speed limit when he lost control of his red Ferrari. The driver intended to change lanes while speeding along a wet stretch of the Chugoku Expressway in Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi, before skidding and hitting a guardrail. The manoeuvre triggered a 14-car pile up.

Mitsuyoshi Isejima, executive officer for Yamaguchi Prefecture's Expressway Traffic Police unit, told Bloomberg the person suspected of causing the accident, a 60-year-old self-employed man from Fukuoka prefecture, may now face up to three months in jail or a fine of as much as 100,000 yen

That question is pretty easy to answer. If people are involved in a multi vehicle accident then they were traveling to fast to enable them to stop in an emergency situation unless of course they were involved through being hit from behind. They wouldn't be traveling in an unsafe convoy unless they were traveling together like the cars in the reported incident.

However as the cars are reported to have been traveling at between 85 mph and 100 mph in convoy in a 62 mph zone and in less than ideal driving conditions it would suggest that this was an unsafe convoy. Add to that the safe distance to follow at 85 mph in ideal conditions is around 800 feet the rear car in the convoy should have been over a mile behind the front car at the time it hit the barrier and yet he still managed to collect it.

A quarter of a kilometre. Is that the gap you leave when travelling at 85mph then?

The total stopping distance is only 550 feet, and that's with an average car. Most of these cars could probably stop from 85 mph in <400 feet and a safe driving gap is probably about 250 feet.

I have driven many thousands of miles on motorways in all sorts of conditions and encountered stationery vehicles. I have never been in a position where I was unable to avoid colliding with them.

As have we all.

But you've ignored the question again. Is anyone involved in a multi vehicle accident on the motorway guilty of driving too close, which is what you asserted earlier.

A quarter of a kilometre. Is that the gap you leave when travelling at 85mph then?

The total stopping distance is only 550 feet, and that's with an average car. Most of these cars could probably stop from 85 mph in <400 feet and a safe driving gap is probably about 250 feet.

As have we all.

But you've ignored the question again. Is anyone involved in a multi vehicle accident on the motorway guilty of driving too close, which is what you asserted earlier.

I merely quote the governments road safety guidelines, but I realise that you are far too self opinionated to take any notice of those. I don't believe they actually condone driving at 85mph plus in 50mph limits when it is chucking it down with rain either.

http://www.smartmotorist.com/traffic-and-safety-guideline/maintain-a-safe-following-distance-the-3-second-rule.html

By the way if these cars can stop so quickly why couldn't they stop and all crashed into one another?

There is a government safety guideline for driving at 85 mph? I'd be very interested to look at it if you can provide a link.

That link isn't government endorsed, and it's using a 3 second rule... Isn't that normally the 2 second rule?

The numbers I gave you were the actual stopping distance (in the dry obviously) for the average car including thinking time.

I'd love to see you drive on the motorway, I'd bet £50 that you don't regularly maintain a quarter of kilometre gap when travelling at 85mph.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/15799.aspx

Now that it is a government endorsed site, and it talks about the 2 second rule, not the 3 or 6 second rule that you were applying to get 800 feet.

There is a government safety guideline for driving at 85 mph? I'd be very interested to look at it if you can provide a link.

That link isn't government endorsed, and it's using a 3 second rule... Isn't that normally the 2 second rule?

The numbers I gave you were the actual stopping distance (in the dry obviously) for the average car including thinking time.

I'd love to see you drive on the motorway, I'd bet £50 that you don't regularly maintain a quarter of kilometre gap when travelling at 85mph.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/15799.aspx

Now that it is a government endorsed site, and it talks about the 2 second rule, not the 3 or 6 second rule that you were applying to get 800 feet.

It doesn't matter a jot. When I was being taught to drive we were taught of the 2 second rule the 3second rule and a 6 second rule relating to driving in different conditions. The accident in Japan happened in rain.

The drivers of the "supercars" involved were all driving considerably above the speed limit despite the adverse conditions.

The lead driver crashed because he lacked the talent to drive his Ferrari around a bend at his chosen speed in the rain. The others crashed into him because they were too close to pull up from the speed they were traveling. You can put whatever spin you like on that but they are the facts.

So it doesn't matter what figure you chose to produce for stopping distances. The fact remains that they couldn't stop in whatever distance they were giving one another.

Incidentally the government guideling for driving at 85mph is quite simple. Don't do it. The speed limit in the UK is 70mph and in Japan 62 mph.

Incidentally I made a mistake by assuming that the accident happened on a road restricted to 62 mph. It happened in a 50mph limit where the cars were apparently traveling at over 85 mph in the wet.

Archived