Cancer patients to undergo benefit checks

I think that it's outrageous personally and being forced to work could have a very detrimental effect on one's response to treatment and recovery.

I think Conrod would rather force somebody to work, than recover and see their family. He'd not let a cancer patient have a xmas day off if he were ever an employer!

You'd need a healthcare professional for that ... hence, undergoing a benefit check.

It's a question of how the check is to be carried out though, isn't it? There are serious acknowledged issues with how ESA assessments are carried out. Some people may sail through chemotherapy with minimal side effects; others are not so lucky and subjecting them to an assessment process which is likely, by design, to deny them benefit until reinstated on appeal seems rather cruel to me.

But there are all sorts of different factors at play, including survival chances, the treatment, and long term effects of the illness and the treatment.

I just fail to see why the word "cancer" means the patients of this disease should be treated any differently to patients with different diseases when it comes to benefits.

There are all sorts of different cancers, with a variety of survival rates and horribleness of treatments:

http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0000Jr

Frank might think I deserved a Blue Peter badge, but the attitude to get on with life wherever possible is definitely the most common one imho. However, I fail to see why somebody diagnosed with a cancer with almost 100% survival probability, receiving chemotherapy with few side effects, should be unable to work, or off limits from questions if they apply for benefits.

My survival chances were put at 85% so I was always optimistic, and although the treatment was horrible, I felt that to apply for some of the benefits that I was told I was entitled to was a fraud, so I didn't.

As with everything in life, most people give and take, whilst some people only take. If we are not allowed to question the integrity of cancer patients simply because, well, err, it's cancer, it's taboo, then the latter will take advantage.

you are clearly an inspiration to anyone battling with cancer,inasmuch as you are giving hope to many cancer sufferers who may be longing to return to a normal way of life after undergoing cancer treatment.i'm sure most will hope to return to work if they are fit enough to do so,but even if recovery is complete not every one will be strong enough mentally to deal with the after effects.

i really don't think the goverment has thought this through properly.it could not be fairly operated.assessments would have to be ongoing and would add further pain worry and suffering.

does that apply to carers who decide they dont want to work even if they can ?

Wouldn't a carer, by definition, be unable to work because they were caring for someone?

But in any event, yes. Benefits are for people unable to work - whether ill, caring for someone full-time, or unable to find a job despite looking. People who are unwilling to work, should not qualify.

It's a question of how the check is to be carried out though, isn't it?

Not in this topic. The OP is fairly explicit in his argument that anyone diagnosed with cancer should be automatically entitled to benefit no matter how it affects their ability to work.

The flaws in the checking system should be resolved, but that's irrelevant to the OP.

Wouldn't a carer, by definition, be unable to work because they were caring for someone?

But in any event, yes. Benefits are for people unable to work - whether ill, caring for someone full-time, or unable to find a job despite looking. People who are unwilling to work, should not qualify.

so someone not willing to work could easily pass themselves off as a carer for a friend/relative :suspect:

Archived