Did your firstborn..

My mother always set a budget what she would spend on the two of us ($100, each - I grew up in the 80/90s)

If it was the year I got a bicycle, I got less presents than my sister who didnt.

If she got a bicycle that year and I didnt, it meant more presents for me. This theory held true until my mid-twenties.... Now we just get something small or gift cards for a set amount.

Its not about how much you get, its the fact that you receive something. My mother has told me over the years, stuff she bought in pound lands (dollar stores) made up the bulk of our gifts when we were younger. Which, helped a lot. We never noticed where the gifts came from, well not until we hit our teens.. Also buying through out the year and hiding away.

If you teach your kids from a small age that its not how much you get, but the fact that someone (or Father Christmas) cared enough to give/leave you most things asked for is whats important. Its about sharing the holiday, giving and being a family (hopefully, healthy, happy and wise) together.

When I became a single parent to two small children, money got tight but what I did was get them something fairly inexpensive for Christmas. With the other stuff from their nan and other relatives, they never noticed anyway and then I spent a little more for their birthdays. Because, then there was time in between to save for it.

Archived