Mr Clegg v OAP's

We have relatives in this situation too. My brother in law is a retired head teacher, and his wife was also a teacher. Their pensions are quite likely to be more than my OH & I earned when we were working! They haven't applied for bus passes - they both run cars.

However, I'd be against means testing unless a realistic income is the cut off point. As part of a couple whose pensions are only slightly more than those on full pension credit (who have rent and council tax benefits, free glasses and dental treatment and cold weather payments) we don't qualify for any means tested benefits. So, in reality our scrimped for bit of extra wasn't worth the effort. :rolleyes:

My bus pass is the one 'perk' I really value. It means I can go out whenever I want, to town or further afield.

I would agree set it at a realistic level. But the fact is that an awful lot of pensioners are wealthy. They are mortgage free and have good pensions. Cuts have to be made at the moment and if it's set at a cut off level of perhaps the national average wage about £25k I would say that was fair.

With regards to winter fuel allowance,people who choose to leave this country should forfeit any allowances and the fuel allowance should be paid to your energy company who would be liable by law to show it has been deducted from your winter bill this allowance is after all for fuel not for spends on jollies.

Why should someone on minimum wage who has to make a choice between heating and eating subsidise fuel bills for wealthy pensioners?

ill say this very s_l_o_w_l_y because i know your not very quick:hihi: i said anyone on 50 grand a year pension and a house paid for shouldnt get any help comprendi :loopy:

And your fully researched philosophical basis for your viewpoint is?

ill say this very s_l_o_w_l_y because i know your not very quick:hihi: i said anyone on 50 grand a year pension and a house paid for shouldnt get any help comprendi :loopy:

So, with your obvious grasp of macro- and micro- economics, at what income level should people not be helped by the welfare state?

£10,000, £20,000, £30,000?

Do tell us please. :|:hihi:

Balls. My parents are in their late 60s. They retired in their 50s on final salary pensions and have an income which is untaxed and significantly higher than the national average wage.

They get free bus passes which they use, as do their wealthy friends, it's convenient especially in London and they get winter fuel allowance.

Cuts have to be made at the moment and to be quite honest I would far rather they lost those perks than cancer patients faced a longer wait for treatment.

I don't see why we're funding it anyway, why should they get money for fuel and a bus pass which are paid for by people who in the main are earning significantly less than them?

All people people pay tax once their income exceeds £6000 pa,irrespective of age.They have been feeding you more porkies.

And here's me thinking our teachers are poor paid and on poor pensions,did I read about a strike last week.You are right of course teachers get damn good pensions,theres no such thing as poor retired teachers but there are poor retired manual workers who are buggered through hard graft and would like to be able to use their bus pass.:|

What pension would a former carpenter who trained as a teacher receive if they taught for 5 years?It would be 12% of their £20,000 salary OR £2400 pa OR £48 per week-Luxury!!!!!:hihi:

Archived