Traffic accident with a skip

After been a skip driver for 26 years this reply by one of the posters hits the mark for me.

"You make it sound like the skip drove into you, after 25 years of driving you should by now be able to drive past a stationary object without hitting it. I agree with Rupert_Baehr you may have a case if it was illegally positions but the money it will cost to pursue it would be better spent on advanced driving lessons paying particular attention to clearance to obstacles and approaching hazards."

Good post and on the money.

Regards

Angel.

I just can not believe some of the replies on my post. This guy is a skip driver (for 26 years) i am not surprised with the reply.

I have been a builder all my working life, and had many skips over the years. And believe me, skip drivers are not the best of drivers. If your going to respond to a post please try and be helpful and not patronizing - I have never had a single accident in 26 years - have you!

I just can not believe some of the replies on my post. This guy is a skip driver (for 26 years) i am not surprised with the reply.

I have been a builder all my working life, and had many skips over the years. And believe me, skip drivers are not the best of drivers. If your going to respond to a post please try and be helpful and not patronizing - I have never had a single accident in 26 years - have you!

Other than hitting a stationary skip, you say the skip was illegally positioned close to the junction and a van parked opposite, which I presume must also have been illegally parked. If it is the fault of the stationary objects then the van must be as responsible as the skip for your accident.

Other than hitting a stationary skip, you say the skip was illegally positioned close to the junction and a van parked opposite, which I presume must also have been illegally parked. If it is the fault of the stationary objects then the van must be as responsible as the skip for your accident.

Your missing the point, the skip has to meet certain regulations before it can be parked on a road and in this case was breaching quite a few.

This skip driver of 26yrs also didn't answer my question in post 28 about the skip either when I asked his opinion on the skip having no permit or lights or reflective markings.

This skip driver of 26yrs also didn't answer my question in post 28 about the skip either when I asked his opinion on the skip having no permit or lights or reflective markings.

a lot of skip drivers dont care as it takes too long to sort the cones, lighting every night and obtain the permit, i know as i used to own a skip company many years ago and many drivers tried to dodge this, so when i hit an unlit skip thats why i won my claim as i knew the law on permits and highway regulations, skip co had no leg to stand on, comply with regulations or get a claim, if the skip i hit had been legal i would have had to sort the repair my self.

Your missing the point, the skip has to meet certain regulations before it can be parked on a road and in this case was breaching quite a few.

I'm not missing any point I know how skips should be positioned and marked, I know vehicles should be parked correctly, I know there are many things on the roads that are obstacles that shouldn’t be there, but rather than driving into them I avoid them. There as to be something fundamentally wrong with someone’s driving or vision for them to drive into a visible skip.

And if the skip was too close to the junction the van parked opposite must also have been to close.

Archived