The Tape Worm Diet. You have got to be kidding me.

I came upon this yesterday. It appears that some companies are marketing tape worm eggs as a weight losing aid.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/Tapeworm_Diet/

Having googled tape worn eggs I was shocked to find this treatment is widely available.

Surely we should be following Americas lead and this should be banned here also.

This is nothing new,back in the 30s-50s,you could buy I think they were called,Carters Little Liver Pills. Each pill contained a worm egg which,obviously,hatched inside you,and literally ate you thin.

My Mother tells me that this is how all the famous film stars retained their figures.

Well, why not? Tapeworms are such highly evolved parasites that they don't actually harm the host, other than nicking the nutrients in the host's gut. I believe they can lead to deficiency in some nutrients and vitamins so you'd have to balance your diet to make up for it, but it's easy to kill the worm with an anti-heminthic or a dose of wormwood, so I don't see a big issue with it.

Well, why not? Tapeworms are such highly evolved parasites that they don't actually harm the host, other than nicking the nutrients in the host's gut. I believe they can lead to deficiency in some nutrients and vitamins so you'd have to balance your diet to make up for it, but it's easy to kill the worm with an anti-heminthic or a dose of wormwood, so I don't see a big issue with it.

You missed out the bit about eggs getting into the brain and hatching, diarrhoea, anaemia, stomach cramps and a whole load of other problems they may cause.

You missed out the bit about eggs getting into the brain and hatching, diarrhoea, anaemia, stomach cramps and a whole load of other problems they may cause.
Hmmm, gastric band or tape worm? I think I'd prefer the more natural option too

not that there's any need for me to have to choose anyway :rolleyes:

Maybe that is why we are all so fat. Tape worms have evolved with us for thousands of years. It's only recently that modern medicine has got rid of them.

Yet we are all still eating like we have them still. And hey fever is supposed to be blamed on it.

Well, I was assuming this refers to the beef tapeworm which is what most of us think of when we hear the name. As far as I am aware, it simply lives in your intestine and that's it, and as long as you have a good healthy diet, you won't even know about it.

Archived