Newsnight, riots

did anyone watch it? Ridiculous excuses from the rioters so far.

They took my free money away boo hoo so I smashed the place up-disgusting individuals.

People complaining about student loans that clearly shouldn't be at uni.

The lovely girl that wanted to be a primary school teacher but had no regrets about smashing up police cars-please please tell me she now has a record!

They took my free money away boo hoo so I smashed the place up-disgusting individuals.

The lovely girl that wanted to be a primary school teacher but had no regrets about smashing up police cars-please please tell me she now has a record!

like this one

Didn't see it, but expecting students to pay £30,000+ for a degree is outrageous, and puts higher education beyond the reach of many.

I'd expect young people to be on the march.

It is a tax for higher earners (although they were scared to call it that)

The only people it will prevent going to uni are the people that probably shouldn't be there as they just aren't intelligent enough or don't need a degree! I am paying mine off now, it won't affect me getting a mortgage and on £30 k you pay about £100-£150 per month (I think) before tax-that is on the old system, from now the payments will be lower and will get written off earlier. It ain't a problem:) apart from for the really really high earners that will be subsidising everyone else!

Model citizen for shaping the future of our children. Fortunately, she might never get that opportunity now :D

Good news, the rioters got their plasma tvs so they have no reason to go to uni now:thumbsup:...

wait that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever:huh:

I am a bit surprised newsnight actually showed these interviews-it was a bit embarrassing that they were reporting it as factual information.

Good news, the rioters got their plasma tvs so they have no reason to go to uni now:thumbsup:...

wait that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever:huh:

I am a bit surprised newsnight actually showed these interviews-it was a bit embarrassing that they were reporting it as factual information.

I saw yesterday's edition of Newsnight & to be honest some of the interviewees who rioted in August did themselves no favours by trying to rationalise their behaviour.

I think the wider context of police behaviour toward ethnic minorities, education cuts, and the complaint over the leniency towards bankers & corporate raiders are all legitimate reasons to demonstrate and protest. I did notice that not one of the respondents said that they had been on a demonstration to express how they felt.

That lad who came back from his holidays (came back 9 days early) to take part in the riots confused me.

On the one hand he was complaining about the fact he had no job, complaining about the fact that EMA had been cut and was complaining about benefit cuts.

Yet, in the same interview, he actually cut short his HOLIDAY 9 days early to fly back to the UK to take part in the riots.

NOw, am I an idiot here? he complains about poverty, yet was on holiday abroad? I know many people who work full time and can barely afford a weekend at Blackpool.

BUt this particular rioter CUT SHORT BY 9 DAYS his holiday in the sun to take part in the riots. How many people who work and save all year could afford to cut short their holiday by 9 days? on the assumption that he was away on holiday for 14 nights, he only stayed for 4 or 5 of those nights.

Perhaps if he wasn't going abroad, and cutting his holidays short he would have more money? he would not feel as impoverised? and perhaps would have enough money to fund his education?

And how the hell can someone who is poor and on benefits, afford to go on a 2 week holiday and come home within 5 days of arriving? rearranging a new flight at the last minute is not particuarlly cheap if you are suffereing from poverty as this young man clamed

The newsnight slot did the rioters no favours whatsoever and could have given a very good reason to cut benefits?

Archived