Newsnight, riots

That lad who came back from his holidays (came back 9 days early) to take part in the riots confused me.

On the one hand he was complaining about the fact he had no job, complaining about the fact that EMA had been cut and was complaining about benefit cuts.

Yet, in the same interview, he actually cut short his HOLIDAY 9 days early to fly back to the UK to take part in the riots.

NOw, am I an idiot here? he complains about poverty, yet was on holiday abroad? I know many people who work full time and can barely afford a weekend at Blackpool.

BUt this particular rioter CUT SHORT BY 9 DAYS his holiday in the sun to take part in the riots. How many people who work and save all year could afford to cut short their holiday by 9 days? on the assumption that he was away on holiday for 14 nights, he only stayed for 4 or 5 of those nights.

Perhaps if he wasn't going abroad, and cutting his holidays short he would have more money? he would not feel as impoverised? and perhaps would have enough money to fund his education?

And how the hell can someone who is poor and on benefits, afford to go on a 2 week holiday and come home within 5 days of arriving? rearranging a new flight at the last minute is not particuarlly cheap if you are suffereing from poverty as this young man clamed

The newsnight slot did the rioters no favours whatsoever and could have given a very good reason to cut benefits?

IMO People on benefits should be denied a passport/international travel.

I loved how the primary school teachers said she'd love it to happen again and she'd smash up two police cars this time... (or something similar)

The nine day premature kid, when he said something like "when they put up the cost of uni I decided not to go and went back to drug dealing". Then when he said he only did it because he has always been victimised by the police, hmmm, but your a drug dealer, you just told us.

But Lammy (steered off it) who started to claim all of it was just because of black youths being discriminated against with stop and search.

A message to the police... Next time, please, just pull out your batons and break some legs, stop 'em in their tracks, round 'em up and cart 'em off double quick time!

Other things, the survey the BBC had done had interviewed disproportionately people who hadn't got any previous, whereas the facts are that the mass majority of those charged had already got previous... What were they thinking?

Not sure if it was Blair or not, but someone said "I'm glad we're harassing criminals, means we're doing our job right!", brilliant!

Some people on benefits go abroad to work. Has that not occurred to you? I know someone who does contract work abroad in various EU countries but pays taxes here. When a contract ends he comes back to sign on and waits for his next contract. Then off he goes again. Under your plan he wouldn't be able to earn a living. We live in a single market spanning 27 countries. Time to come up to date.

Some people on benefits go abroad to work. Has that not occurred to you? I know someone who does contract work abroad in various EU countries but pays taxes here. When a contract ends he comes back to sign on and waits for his next contract. Then off he goes again. Under your plan he wouldn't be able to earn a living. We live in a single market spanning 27 countries. Time to come up to date.

He or she was responding to my post about the lad who had cut short his holiday abroad by 9 days to take part in the riots.

The lad who was complaining about poverty, ema being cut and the fact he couldn't get a job.

The would be primary school teacher made me laugh "We needad sumfink to do like, and nar a can't go tu uni cos the fee av gone up...."

Things must have moved on since the 1980s, but I can't remember my teachers speaking like wannabe gangsters from jamaica :hihi:

Didn't see it, but expecting students to pay £30,000+ for a degree is outrageous, and puts higher education beyond the reach of many.

I'd expect young people to be on the march.

Higher education isn't out of reach because by the time they have any money to pay they can afford it. It’s one thing about the fees that I disagree with, someone that doesn’t have the aptitude to go to uni gets their course paid for and they won’t have to pay it back because they will never earn enough money.

I loved how the primary school teachers said she'd love it to happen again and she'd smash up two police cars this time... (or something similar)

The nine day premature kid, when he said something like "when they put up the cost of uni I decided not to go and went back to drug dealing". Then when he said he only did it because he has always been victimised by the police, hmmm, but your a drug dealer, you just told us.

But Lammy (steered off it) who started to claim all of it was just because of black youths being discriminated against with stop and search.

A message to the police... Next time, please, just pull out your batons and break some legs, stop 'em in their tracks, round 'em up and cart 'em off double quick time!

Other things, the survey the BBC had done had interviewed disproportionately people who hadn't got any previous, whereas the facts are that the mass majority of those charged had already got previous... What were they thinking?

Not sure if it was Blair or not, but someone said "I'm glad we're harassing criminals, means we're doing our job right!", brilliant!

I think they were trying desperately to show it from the rioters side, unfortunately as they were behaving like many steaming piles of turd with no reason this was not possible! Either that or the bbcs heart wasn't in it!

I liked the last comment as well-a bit of common sense! of course they tried to argue with that as well. The whole section was a bit strange.

You know what they needed actually-Jeremy clarkson:hihi:

He or she was responding to my post about the lad who had cut short his holiday abroad by 9 days to take part in the riots.

The lad who was complaining about poverty, ema being cut and the fact he couldn't get a job.

The would be primary school teacher made me laugh "We needad sumfink to do like, and nar a can't go tu uni cos the fee av gone up...."

Things must have moved on since the 1980s, but I can't remember my teachers speaking like wannabe gangsters from jamaica :hihi:

It makes no difference, you can't simply deny receivers of benefit the right to travel without good reason.

That would have scuppered my chances of regaining employment some years ago, when I had to travel overseas for a job interview (even though I was not 'technically' on benefits, since I did not qualify for any, despite being unemployed).

Point aptly addressed by LeMaquis' anecdote as well.

And I got the job at the time, btw.

Archived