Newsnight, riots

Does that make my point any better?
Kinda: my recollection is that it already works that way (or at least did, back in 2004), per

If you do sign off to go on holiday then JSA will be suspended for that period and when you return you get "fast tracked" back into the system.
;)

It's disgraceful. Even Thatcher believed that the less fortunate should get a crack at bettering themselves.

Don’t let the fact that every child still gets a free education up to 19 and still has the opportunity to go to university if they have the ability get in the way of your rant.

Don’t let the fact that every child still gets a free education up to 19 and still has the opportunity to go to university if they have the ability get in the way of your rant.

A free education is fine up to 19, as long as you're in a financial position to support your kids throught it, with the withdrawal of the EMA.

Is a 15% reduction in applications not evidence enough for you that this 'opportunity' is not an option for many people now? Don't forget, presently, we're talking about people who have worked many years towards the end goal of going to university, and are at the stage of applying. For future years, those aspirations will be gone in the first place, along with the 'opportunity'.

It's disgusting.

EMA, E, M, A, I said EMA, what are they? (Yeah, I do sort of know, just dreaming of garlic bread)

When did EMA's come in, I know I never got one but still managed to get through college and then later through uni...

The majority of the people we are referring to here are not likely to do any form of higher or further education other than to waste time and get free money!

EDIT:

I couldn't find the garlic bread sketch by Peter Kay, so here's a Catherine Tate one instead...

A free education is fine up to 19, as long as you're in a financial position to support your kids throught it, with the withdrawal of the EMA.

Is a 15% reduction in applications not evidence enough for you that this 'opportunity' is not an option for many people now? Don't forget, presently, we're talking about people who have worked many years towards the end goal of going to university, and are at the stage of applying. For future years, those aspirations will be gone in the first place, along with the 'opportunity'.

It's disgusting.

If it has disuaded people from doing pointless degrees then there is no problem there. One thing is certain, no-one has not applied because they can't afford the fees. Possibly because they have misunderstood the loan system but then that is their own fault.

People being paid to attend college was always a flawed plan anyway. My family got EMA with absolutely no need for it as we are relatively well off and could easily afford bus fares. It did convince one of my less academic siblings to stay on for A-levels so he now has two fails to his name! If he had gone to work instead of failing A-levels he would be better off confidence and money wise.

If it has disuaded people from doing pointless degrees then there is no problem there. One thing is certain, no-one has not applied because they can't afford the fees. Possibly because they have misunderstood the loan system but then that is their own fault.

That money bloke who's on everything was on the Daily Politics Show the other week saying that the current system is financially way better that the old, but it's just been explained wrongly and too heavily slammed by Labour.

EDIT:

Concerning university.

That money bloke who's on everything was on the Daily Politics Show the other week saying that the current system is financially way better that the old, but it's just been explained wrongly and too heavily slammed by Labour.

EDIT:

Concerning university.

I cannot understand why they didn't call it a graduate tax, they have annoyed so many people that would have loved something called a graduate tax even though it is the same (apart from the cap)

It's disgusting.

It’s their choice go to university at the tax payer expense and pay us back when they can afford it or don't go, probably around 60% of the ones that go shouldn't be anyway.

Archived