Need to lose weight fast? Try this!

You presented an article as evidence that lemon water helps weight loss. I refuted that by saying that isn't what the article says. I hope this next one is more informative :)

Taken from the article:

"Good for Weight Loss

One of the major health benefits of drinking lemon water is that it paves way for losing weight faster, thus acting as a great weight loss remedy. If a person takes lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water and honey, it can reduce the body weight as well."

More info:

"HPLC-ESI/MSn analyses provided the identification of two new flavonoids in the lemon juice: Quercetin 3-O-rutinoside-7-O-glucoside and chrysoeriol 6,8-di-C-glucoside (stellarin-2). The occurrence of apigenin 6,8-di-C-glucoside (vicenin-2), eriodictyol 7-O-rutinoside, 6,8-di-C-glucosyl diosmetin, hesperetin 7-O-rutinoside, homoeriodictyol 7-O-rutinoside and diosmetin 7-O-rutinoside was also confirmed in lemon juice by this technique."

"HPLC-ESI/MSn analyses provided the identification of two new flavonoids in the lemon juice"

Are you trying to say that those new 'flavoids' are responsible to the weight loss somehow or is that just a random copy copy paste of the analysis of lemon juice?

So are you actually a medical doctor?? I presume not as you haven't stated this.

I am more inclined to listen to the opinion of Drs. Lesser, Beddoe, Glenville and Brewer etc than the opinion of someone on a forum with no medical qualification!!

I suggest you look into the research of these medical professionals for more understanding on this subject.

It could be endorsed by DOCTOR Gillian McKeith, Pfifes, it would still scream "Quackery" and tripe.

Interesting reading:

CONCLUSIONS: Lemon and lime juice, both from the fresh fruit and from juice concentrates, provide more citric acid per liter than ready-to-consume grapefruit juice, ready-to-consume orange juice, and orange juice squeezed from the fruit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Quantitative+assessment+of+citric+acid+in+lemon+juice%2C+lime+juice+and+commercially&TransSchema=title

and

http://www.lookchem.com/Chempedia/Health-and-Chemical/8846.html

Lemon juice - with 30% fruit - contains citric acid, calcium and potassium citrates, glucides (glucose, fructose, sugar), mineral salts and oligoelements (iron, calcium, silicium, phosphorus, manganese, copper), vitamins (B1, B2, B3, C, PP, A, carotene). All these compounds help the body in its growing process. Citric acid, for example, stimulates the absorption of calcium through the intestines (mineralization action), neutralizes the effect of uric acid and reduces the gastric acidity. While vitamin C is richly contained by lemon, it has an anti-oxidizing role, vitamin PP offers vascular protection. Also, vitamin C has an important role in the synthesis of collagen in the tissues, cartilages and bones, also being anti-inflammatory. Furthermore, through the contribution of vitamin C, the burning of fat is also accelerated. A direct action of this is manifested through the fluidization of the blood - a process which does not limit the coagulation of blood in case of injuries. Therefore, the blood circulates easier though the blood vessels, becoming more fluid. We will now present the rest of the benefiting effects produced by lemon consumption: strong antioxidant, bactericide, febrifuge, tonic for the sympathetic nervous system, cardiac tonic, anti-gastric acid, diuretic, anti-rheumatic, anti-gout, anti-arthritic, sedative, anti-sclerotic, vein tonic, anti-scorbutic, depurative, remineralizing, anti-anemia, stimulates gastro-hepatic and pancreatic secretions, haemostatic, carminative, and vermifuge.

I'm not looking for proof of what is contained in the lemons. I'm looking for proof that:

a) this is not provided by other food, such as eating citrus fruit, and that

b) the drinking of lemon juice doesn't just contain ascorbic acid (which may enable fat metabolism) but also that this IS SHOWN TO INCREASE FAT METABOLISM when consumed.

This should be easy to demonstrate by doing a double blind placebo controlled study with a large group of statistically similar volunteers who all eat the same portions of the same food for a period of time, perform the same amount of exercise etc. but one group drinks lemon juice and the other drinks a lemon flavoured juice. Once the trial is over and all the measurements have been taken, the detail of who took which drink can then be opened and a whole load of statistical analyses should then show whether indeed the lemon group did lose weight compared to the non-lemon group, and whether this was a large enough difference to be statistically unlikely otherwise, or whether it's a small enough gap that this could have happened by chance.

A few hundred people on a carefully controlled diet with blood tests and weight/dimension measurements done every few days for a couple of months should be all that stands between this claim and the truth of whether it works.

Unless this has been carried out then any claim made is just a claim which hasn't yet been tested. If it's been carried out then where can I see the results please?

Archived