Falkland Islands Tension increase

It's nearly 8000 miles. You're just being silly now.

Land 5000 troops, take over air force base, job done.

4 planes with an austere ground attack capability are not capable of stopping anything more than a small invasion force, particularly not if they're busy shooting down some outdated mirages.

1 destroyer and 1 submarine could be quite a deterrent, but the destroyer has no capability in an anti surface role and the submarine can be in only one place at a time.

They actually have 4 destroyers with an anti submarine role (although it's unlikely they could destroy our sub, they could certainly make life difficult for it) and 3 subs of their own.

To turn the question around, how do you think a medium sized invasion would be stopped?

Their gear was mostly out dated thoght not as outdated as their super ship the Belgrano which was in service with the US navy around the time of Pearl harbour, I think that their carrier Vincente De Mayo was also an ancient hand me down.

That's right. Because I said that there are 4 Eurofighters in the Falklands I can tell you where the submarine in the area is :loopy:

Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post

[/b]The military forces currently station in the Falklands is a matter of public record.[/b] It's not like they can sneak in more Eurofighters by train and then keep them hidden is it.

What about some of the other question they should be easy to answer if it’s a matter of public record.

It's nearly 8000 miles. You're just being silly now.

Land 5000 troops, take over air force base, job done.

4 planes with an austere ground attack capability are not capable of stopping anything more than a small invasion force, particularly not if they're busy shooting down some outdated mirages.

1 destroyer and 1 submarine could be quite a deterrent, but the destroyer has no capability in an anti surface role and the submarine can be in only one place at a time.

They actually have 4 destroyers with an anti submarine role (although it's unlikely they could destroy our sub, they could certainly make life difficult for it) and 3 subs of their own.

To turn the question around, how do you think a medium sized invasion would be stopped?

You're just plain wrong.

Their gear was mostly out dated thoght not as outdated as their super ship the Belgrano which was in service with the US navy around the time of Pearl harbour, I think that their carrier Vincente De Mayo was also an ancient hand me down.

It was, they have newer kit now, although older than our own still.

You're just plain wrong.

Did someone moved the Falklands Islands closer to the UK? Within the range of a eurofighter maybe?

You're just plain evasive. How about actually explaining why I'm wrong rather than just giving unsupported statements and avoiding questions when I try to answer yours?

"how do you think a medium sized invasion would be stopped?"

Very prone? Very vulnerable to air attack you mean? Not if the 4 planes were busy shooting down the old mirages. How long do they need to be engaged before it's too late and enough troops are on shore to take or disable the airbase rendering those 4 planes useless?

They have four destroyers who's primary purpose is air defence, they might not be capable enough to destroy eurofighters, but they'd certainly make life more interesting whilst trying to shoot down those mirages and all in time to then use their austere ground attack capability to do something about troops landing...

You are working on the assumption that both opposing air force and navy can get within striking distance of the Falklands without being detected. If patrols are routine, an invasion force would be seen long before it could reach the islands.

4 RAF Typhoons could easily out class and stay in the air longer than any opposing plane, bearing in mind the RAF wouldn't have to fly too far from their base to intercept any aircraft. As long as the opposing air force is dealt with, any invasion would be a disaster.

This is a bit of a struggle Cyclone, it's not like you.

It's a thousand miles from Argentina. A Typhoon's range, or any other RAF front line aircraft for that matter is determined only by the red pills and blue pills the pilots take.

Do you think that your 5000 Argentinian troops could train, assemble, set sail, avoid being sunk, and disebmark and land without anyone noticing, before a couple of squadrons of air cover arrived, or a fleet of RAF VC10's and Airbus's full of troops?

But anyway, none of this is even remotely possible for all sorts of geopolitical reasons, but not least because Argentinian politicians would be hanging from lamp posts before sending thousands of young men to their deaths.

You are working on the assumption that both opposing air force and navy can get within striking distance of the Falklands without being detected. If patrols are routine, an invasion force would be seen long before it could reach the islands.

4 RAF Typhoons could easily out class and stay in the air longer than any opposing plane, bearing in mind the RAF wouldn't have to fly too far from their base to intercept any aircraft. As long as the opposing air force is dealt with, any invasion would be a disaster.

It's 300 miles from the Argentinian mainland.

The eurofighers would outclass the argentinian airforce, but would they be sufficient without support to stop an invasion fleet that had destroyer support (with AA capability) whilst outnumbered by inferior planes?

The Argentian air force is expecting to take delivery of 12 Mirage F-1EJ in 2012.

Archived