Falkland Islands Tension increase

I didn't take into account in-flight refueling and subsequent posts have shown that it is indeed possible but very hard work to get there in one day from the UK. Took me around 2-3 weeks to get there almost 30 years ago but that was on a warship. My links with the RAF are now more on a supplier/customer basis which has shown me more of the RAF than my 27 years RN service ever did!

That’s a coincidence that’s about how long it took me to get there,:) my brother got there a little faster because he was RAF.

I can't find the thread now, but several posters expressed increduality when it was suggested that a future conflict over the Falkland islands might be possible and that scrapping our carrier fleet before the replacements were ready was thus short sighted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/8936750/Argentina-launches-naval-campaign-to-isolate-Falkland-Islands.html

Starting to a little bit more likely though now isn't it...

I wonder if we'll end up 'agreeing' to hand it over, due to our inability to keep it if it came down to force.

We've got one carrier at the moment, and no planes on it.

Four euro fighters on station wouldn't be sufficient to stop the islands being taken, and from that point on any naval task force sent without air cover would be a futile and expensive gesture.

we should have done what i suggested in 1982 and just nuke the gauchos. :D:hihi::o

Has that been confirmed, are we now fitting electric catapults and arrestors to both carriers? That can only be a good thing if it's correct.

I'm under the impression that our new carriers will have the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System.

What does it matter to Jo Public in the UK if there is oil and gas around the Falklands, those of us old enough to remember the promises of the golden age of North Sea Gas & Oil that never materialised except for the money people won't swallow it a second time.

Archived