Falkland Islands Tension increase

Because big strips of tarmac are notoriously difficult to move around.

And when they're 8000 miles from the main bulk of your forces quite difficult to keep hold of.

Why would anyone need to move it around when it's already there, it belongs to you, and it has a fully formed garrison, air and naval defence facility?

Why would anyone need to move it around when it's already there, it belongs to you, and it has a fully formed garrison, air and naval defence facility?
Probably because aircraft have limited combat radius and air to air refuelling has only limited practical application. An airfield at Biggin Hill was great for defending the channel in 1940 but not much use pushing through the Pacific in 1945.

(I understand some of your scepticism over the vulnerability of carriers but they are phenominally flexible platforms for forward projection of that most honest expression of political will - high explosive).

I fully recognise their flexibility but the hard reality is that no Argentinian politician wants his neck attaching to a lampost by the Latin proletariat.

... and we can't afford luxury items like Ark Royal any more.

There's too much oil and gas reserves on that island; oil and gas that we can't afford to fall into the hands of others.

I have a feeling that by the time we have the technology to bring the gas and oil from Antartica, it will not be worth it.

I do not think by then there will be anymore nations, or republics, we will be one autonomus state.

And no need of energy, or fuel.

We will be on our way backwards.

I must be sadly out of date. In my day air support was provided by F-4s off Navy carriers.

I dont remember seeing any Harriers back in the late 60s.

The Yanks have bought all our stock of them as they know how good they are.

They beat all the stuff the Yanks sold to the Argies during the Falklands debacle.

Thats probably why.

Archived