Falkland Islands Tension increase

If 500 hundred british soldiers died protecting 2 barren windswept full of sheep islands I would say it would not be worth it.

If we were attacked in a war like fashion from a foreign enemy intent on overpowering our Islands, I would expect them and myself to fight to the last man to the death.

I hate em being in Afghan, I'd be quite happy for Afgans to kill each other and not our kids like they do from behind rocks via remote control.

The island as over 3000 residents, what should happen to them?

i don't know MrSmith maybe relocate em back here, mind you i'd rather live there under argie rule than some places in england these days

But that’s not what they want; they and their ancestors have lived there a nearly 200 years.

Argentina are testing the water a bit in my opinion. It's not much of a secret that our aircraft carrier situation is a bit dubious at the moment. Plus the fact that the army is a bit stretched too.

Combine that with the need for popular appeal at home, and sabre rattling ensues.

They're testing our resolve to do anything about it if they do take military action. Now they've gone running off to the UN, they're trying a different angle.

Can't see the UN being that interested.

Spot on. They tried willy waving and now we've shown that won't work they've gone running to mummy UN. Which can debate what it likes and if it supports us them all good and if it doesn't we veto it. The spanish colonists are onto a hiding to nothing but it makes for good internal poll ratings in the meantime.

Obviously you fail to understand that Argentina is one of many neighbouring countries of the US. All of these countries must be sympathetic to Argentina I'm sure.

Obama would be treading on eggs diplomatically speaking if Argentina were to attempt to invade the Falklands (which it wont).

A hell of a situation for Obama though if it did happen. An ally and friend on one side and half a continent against that ally on the other side.

Glad I wouldn't be in his shoes.

what? Argentina neighbors the USA? Argentina's northern most boarder is approx 4,500 miles away from the USA's most southern boarder.

If 500 hundred british soldiers died protecting 2 barren windswept full of sheep islands I would say it would not be worth it.

If we were attacked in a war like fashion from a foreign enemy intent on overpowering our Islands, I would expect them and myself to fight to the last man to the death.

I hate em being in Afghan, I'd be quite happy for Afgans to kill each other and not our kids like they do from behind rocks via remote control.

so you can count almost every small island we own, including the shetlands, western isles, isle of white, isle of man, jersey? all of which's only difference is their position on the map and the number of people who live on them.

I agree with you on Afghanistan, but that's an entirely different issue. We didn't invade another country. The Falklands are ours and those who live their are British Citizens.

Archived