Falkland Islands Tension increase

The UN discussion live on the news channels last night was very good. The Argentine Foreign Minister gave a long presentation about how the deployment of UK jets meant they were in striking distance of Southern Brazil.

Does he honestly think that UK jets would attack South America?

He came across as a dirty telltale little sneak running to the teacher (the UN)

I have read articles about the UN discussion. He seems hell bent on causing issues for the UK, even if that means telling a few fibs.

So, Argentina want to debate the Falklands. What is there to debate, especially when the UN have agreed that the islanders have right to self determination. I can't see the islanders wanting to ruled by Argentina. What do they expect to get out of this?

I have read articles about the UN discussion. He seems hell bent on causing issues for the UK, even if that means telling a few fibs.

So, Argentina want to debate the Falklands. What is there to debate, especially when the UN have agreed that the islanders have right to self determination. I can't see the islanders wanting to ruled by Argentina. What do they expect to get out of this?

As far as I know the Falklands have never belonged to Argentina in the first place

Good job Labour are not still in power, they would have probably just handed them over, just like Bliar and Hain planned to do with Gibraltar (against the wishes of the Gibraltans).

Our involvement down there has nothing to do with the wishes of the Falkland Islanders, the penguins or the sheep, it's all about OIL, and rightly so. We need it. The Falklands Govt. will split the profit with the UK, and start to pay back all the dough it has cost to protect the islands over the years.

Our involvement down their has nothing to do with the wishes of the Falkland Islanders, the penguins or the sheep, it's all about OIL, and rightly so. We need it. The Falklands Govt. will split the profit with the UK, and start to pay back all the dough it has cost to protect the islands over the years.

30 years ago it wasn't known oil was there, so to put our Falkland's commitment down to oil doesn't hold water.

We have plenty of other overseas territories too which don't have oil.

30 years ago it wasn't known oil was there, so to put our Falkland's commitment down to oil doesn't hold water.

We have plenty of other overseas territories too which don't have oil.

True, but it is known now, there have been several successful drillings and It is rumoured that the amounts of oil down there have been deliberately down-played, so as not to encourage the Argentinians.

It is 30 years on from the initial conflict and I honestly think that if it was not for the oil, we would enter into discussions with Argentina re: longer term sovereignty.

True, but it is known now, there have been several successful drillings and It is rumoured that the amounts of oil down there have been deliberately down-played, so as not to encourage the Argentinians.

It is 30 years on from the initial conflict and I honestly think that if it was not for the oil, we would enter into discussions with Argentina re: longer term sovereignty.

What is there to discus?

Surely the people on the island should be allowed the freedom of self determination, which is a UN charter after all.

Archived