Falkland Islands Tension increase

So Cristina Fernández de Kirchner thinks that:

180 years ago ... in a blatant exercise of 19th-century colonialism, Argentina was forcibly stripped of the Malvinas Islands ... the Argentines on the Islands were expelled by the Royal Navy and the United Kingdom subsequently began a population implantation process similar to that applied to other territories under colonial rule.

The native Patagons must be looking forward to an imminent announcement by Cristina Fernández de Kirchner that Patagonia, forcibly taken from them in the late 19th-Century, will be handed back to them.

We should not be there. What right do we have to claim land that is thousands of miles away from the UK ? Maybe something to do with the fact that the Southern Antartic is full of oil ? Another example of our British "little islander" attitiude. Speaking as a person who has traveled a lot recently I would suggest that the UK is not quite so well liked around the world as our media and government would have us believe !

We should not be there. What right do we have to claim land that is thousands of miles away from the UK ? Maybe something to do with the fact that the Southern Antartic is full of oil ? Another example of our British "little islander" attitiude. Speaking as a person who has traveled a lot recently I would suggest that the UK is not quite so well liked around the world as our media and government would have us believe !

What about the island's inhabitants, the people who were born there, should they be there?

If you think the British are alone in grabbing land, I suggest you open your eyes and look at other nations with territories beyond their borders.

As for the oil, the Falklands were occupied long before oil was even thought about. In fact, I would imagine the only importance of the Falklands was their strategic location, being close to Antarctica.

What does it matter if we are liked or not.

we aren't "claiming land that is thousands of miles away", we are respecting the wishes of the people who live on that land and honouring the promises we made to them

would we have the same attitude if the land wasn't as strategically useful? who knows

I have always said it is down to the islanders themselves and they appear to be happy being under British rule.

Not sure why Argentina can't just leave them be.

My sentiments to, but there is billions of £s worth of minerals and oil there,

Archived