Falkland Islands Tension increase

I have always said it is down to the islanders themselves and they appear to be happy being under British rule.

Not sure why Argentina can't just leave them be.

The referendum this year will settle this argument....or should although I suspect the President of Argentina will still be beating her botox injected lips about colonialism. Perhaps she should look to her own history and wonder why she speaks Spanish in a South American country.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 10:39 ----------

My sentiments to, but there is billions of £s worth of minerals and oil there,

Oooo, where???

The referendum this year will settle this argument....or should although I suspect the President of Argentina will still be beating her botox injected lips about colonialism. Perhaps she should look to her own history and wonder why she speaks Spanish in a South American country.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 10:39 ----------

Oooo, where???

my bold

in the sea i think i am right in saying that Britain has started pumping oil out of the sea, thats why there is such a conflict its all down to money. argentina is not bothered about the Falklands island they want what the serounding waters hold.

my bold

in the sea i think i am right in saying that Britain has started pumping oil out of the sea, thats why there is such a conflict its all down to money. argentina is not bothered about the Falklands island they want what the serounding waters hold.

It's never really been about the Falkland islanders, Dennis Thatcher ect had interest in the oil reserves off shore there so good old wifey Maggie had to protect their interest, talk about keep it in the family.:suspect:

It's never really been about the Falkland islanders, Dennis Thatcher ect had interest in the oil reserves off shore there so good old wifey Maggie had to protect their interest, talk about keep it in the family.:suspect:

Oh behave yourself!!:suspect:

http://www.fleetstreetfox.com/2013/01/dear-argentina.html

This sets out an answer quite nicely.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 11:30 ----------

When the British left in 1774 it did not give up its soveregnty of the islands. Argentina has no claim to sovereignty - the only people besides the British who could, based on history, make a claim are the French - Argentina has never owned so much as an inch of the islands. When the Spanish signed the rights to the islands over to Argentina, they had no right to do so - they might as well have signed over Germany! Signing over land you don't own is meaningless, and has no weight in international law. The Argentinians didn't even assert their claim until 1945, a claim based on made-up, re-written history.

Also, if the right of self determination doesn't apply to the Falkland Islanders, because they are not the original inhabitants, then it also doesn't apply to the 90% of Argentinian people who are also not the original inhabitants. You can't have it both ways! Either you accept the rights of the Islanders, or you disenfranchise most of the Argentine population.

Britain has twice offered to go through the International Courts of Justice to resolve the issue of sovereignty, and both times Argentina has declined. Indeed, Argentina announced it would not respect any findings of the court. A clear indication that they know their claim is based on little more than myth.

Didn't the French sign it over to the Spanish?

What would you know anyhow!:gag:

Evidently you know more than me so perhaps you'd like to back-up your allegations with proof..........ok, off you go!!:thumbsup:

Archived