Falkland Islands Tension increase

If you were there as you claim I'm sure you wouldn't have forgotten that the Conveyor was also hit by two Excocets, taking a lot of the helicopters, and more importantly most of the Mars Bars to the bottom when it sank.

---------- Post added 05-01-2013 at 17:20 ----------

I believe that all the Exocets that hit did explode. There were a lot of ships that were holed by bombs going all the way though them without detonating, which still lets the water in of course although not as catastrophically.

The one that hit HMS Sheffield failed to explode for a start. Many failed to explode.

So what exactly are you trying to say?

I am saying you weren't forthcoming with your information. You are the first naval person I've known not to announce the name of your ship when talking about your service. A good few of my mates served in the RN, one even serving on the same ship as you.

I am saying you weren't forthcoming with your information. You are the first naval person I've known not to announce the name of your ship when talking about your service. A good few of my mates served in the RN, one even serving on the same ship as you.

I never claimed to be in the navy, or even in the services.:huh:

My guess is that most people did not realise that the French were involved in the Falklands war...BUT....they were!!!

http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/falkland-islands/45704/bbc-finds-evidence-french-helped-argentines-sink-our-ships

:(

...but were generally helpful, unlike a lot of "others" (quoted from your link):

"French support for us may not have been "picture-perfect" but the overall effect of the programme was to highlight how generally effective it had been. Certainly streets ahead of some of our other "allies".

The Belgians, for instance, refused to sell us artillery and small arms ammunition.

Israel's extensive support for Argentina during the war was laid out recently in startling detail by the Argentine journalist Hernan Dobry in his book Operation Israel: the Rearming of Argentina During the Dictatorship 1976-1983. Menachem Begin, then prime minister, did all he could to transport arms and equipment to Argentina because he hated the British so much. Apparently, in 1947 the British Mandatory authorities had (after due process and quite properly) hanged one of his terrorist chums.

But it's the attitude of the United States that still grates most of all. Their reluctance to support us against the Fascist Argentine Junta is well known. Initially, in April 1982, they even refused us permission to use the US operated airfield on Ascension Island (a British Crown Colony for Heaven's sake) to refuel RAF aircraft. In 2012 the US does not recognise our legal claim to the Falkland Islands which Hillary Clinton's staff insolently refer to as "Las Malvinas".

The next time the Americans want our support in a military venture (and, yes, there seems to be a big one in the offing) we should tell them to take a hike."

But it's the attitude of the United States that still grates most of all. Their reluctance to support us against the Fascist Argentine Junta is well known. Initially, in April 1982, they even refused us permission to use the US operated airfield on Ascension Isla

nd (a British Crown Colony for Heaven's sake) to refuel RAF aircraft. In 2012 the US does not recognise our legal claim to the Falkland Islands which Hillary Clinton's staff insolently refer to as "Las Malvinas".

The next time the Americans want our support in a military venture (and, yes, there seems to be a big one in the offing) we should tell them to take a hike."

Yeah, the US gave us no support in the war, the rotten ********! Well, apart from supplying (and re-supplying) us with the latest aim-9l sidewinder air to air missile, an all aspect weapon which gave the sea harriers an invaluable edge over the Argentine aircraft. Oh, and the (unaccepted) offer of the loan of one of their aircraft carriers. And then there's the small matter of CIA Intel which was passed on to us via the use of their spy satellites and recon aircraft.

But apart from that, the US gave us no support at all...

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived