Falkland Islands Tension increase

Yeah, the US gave us no support in the war, the rotten ********! Well, apart from supplying (and re-supplying) us with the latest aim-9l sidewinder air to air missile, an all aspect weapon which gave the sea harriers an invaluable edge over the Argentine aircraft. Oh, and the (unaccepted) offer of the loan of one of their aircraft carriers. And then there's the small matter of CIA Intel which was passed on to us via the use of their spy satellites and recon aircraft.

But apart from that, the US gave us no support at all...

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Erm, that was a quote, of a quote, and yet you've (erroneously) attributed it directly to me.

To quote Austin Powers, "Oh behave!"

;)

Yeah, the US gave us no support in the war, the rotten ********! Well, apart from supplying (and re-supplying) us with the latest aim-9l sidewinder air to air missile, an all aspect weapon which gave the sea harriers an invaluable edge over the Argentine aircraft. Oh, and the (unaccepted) offer of the loan of one of their aircraft carriers. And then there's the small matter of CIA Intel which was passed on to us via the use of their spy satellites and recon aircraft.

Diplomatically the US was in a difficult position. The whole of south America was on the side of Argentina and that was something to be considered

Diplomatically the US was in a difficult position. The whole of south America was on the side of Argentina and that was something to be considered

Against the side of a small democracy that was invaded by a fascist Junta? It seems pretty open and shut to me. Luckily for us not all South America sided with the Argentinians as Chile helped us out.

Against the side of a small democracy that was invaded by a fascist Junta? It seems pretty open and shut to me. Luckily for us not all South America sided with the Argentinians as Chile helped us out.

Only because Maggy threatened to cut off the aid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annoni_mouse

Erm, that was a quote, of a quote, and yet you've (erroneously) attributed it directly to me.

To quote Austin Powers, "Oh behave!"

Yeah, I find the app difficult to use sometimes! on my phone, it came up as one quote, it wasn't my intention to attribute it to you

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 09:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleyman

The war was essentially between two of the US's allies. Publicly, they had to remain neutral, but in reality, their help was weighted heavily in favour of the British.

Well right or wrong it was an awkward moment for Washington. Chile was an exception. Even Mexico was pro-Argentine in sympathy. I can remember seeing cars with Argentine flags flying from them

Diplomatic relations between south America and the US have always by turn been either smooth or at times downright strained so I would imagine that while Washington was in sync with the UK it was a sensitive issue.

I believe the latin American mindset saw Britain as the colonial bad guy instead of the obvious fact that the UK was liberating the island after an illegal invasion carried out by an oppressive non democratic regime

Well right or wrong it was an awkward moment for Washington. Chile was an exception. Even Mexico was pro-Argentine in sympathy. I can remember seeing cars with Argentine flags flying from them

Diplomatic relations between south America and the US have always by turn been either smooth or at times downright strained so I would imagine that while Washington was in sync with the UK it was a sensitive issue.

I believe the latin American mindset saw Britain as the colonial bad guy instead of the obvious fact that the UK was liberating the island after an illegal invasion carried out by an oppressive non democratic regime

The irony being that Argentina is and much of South America are hispanic colonial countries.

The irony being that Argentina is and much of South America are hispanic colonial countries.

Which gained independence from Spain and Portugal eventually either peacefully or hard fought. At various times in history the Yanquis of the north have been looked on with a mixture of benevolence, distrust or wariness.

As for Europeans........ former colonial masters who are associated with bad memories

Which gained independence from Spain and Portugal eventually either peacefully or hard fought. At various times in history the Yanquis of the north have been looked on with a mixture of benevolence, distrust or wariness.

As for Europeans........ former colonial masters who are associated with bad memories

http://www.indexmundi.com/argentina/demographics_profile.html

Given that 97% of them are European I think if your assertions are true they are engaging in some serious self delusion.

I don't recall now. I do remember reading a classified document however which emphasised our good fortune in that many exocets failed to explode. As the information was classified you will not be able to access it on the internet.

I never claimed to be in the navy, or even in the services.:huh:

Well you must have been either in the services or a MOD civil servant then if you read classified documents as claimed. Or someone's breached the Official Secrets Act?

Archived