Places to go on Boxing Day

Dark Moomin

I normally go for a stroll round Dam Flask and call for a few beers in Nags after or Plough depending where I park,this year going for a walk in Guadamere beach if the rain holds off.

i love Guadamar beach. My dad lives in Torrevieja so know it quite well

If you're brave enough you could always go down to Meadowhall, it'll be HEAVING though, personally I think people who insist on going shopping the day after Christmas need to get a grip and a life... What could they possibly want that they didn't get for Christmas?

It sounds like you associate Boxing Day with a scenic walk - so, go somewhere scenic then, that's easy around here.

The previous suggestions of Longshaw and Damn Flask are good ones. Both nice and scenic but not sure if you'll find much in the way of cafe's and things to break the walk. (There are some, but ? open Boxing Day?).

The Monsal Trail is absolutely superb now that they've opened up all the railway tunnels. It is like walking into a magical grotto. Plus, you've got good food and beer at Monsal Head Hotel. You could start the trail in Bakewell itself, which is another nice option as there will be a few shops and things open there on Boxing Day. There's also a nice, inexpensive, Italian, Fellicini's (same as the one on Eccy Road) in Bakewell, right by the river. It's beautiful surroundings and nice food - but check first if it's open on Boxing Day.

If not, then maybe the little cafe at Hassop, right on the Monsal trail, would be a good start point.

Another option - which is pretty stunning - is to drive up over Ringinglow, past the Norfolk Arms pub - and proceed for about 2 miles to the car park at Burbage. Then walk over Higger Tor - or proceed down the trail to Fox House.

Hathersage, Castleton, Matlock/Matlock Bath, Bakewell - there should be something in all these places to do on Boxing Day. And you are spoiled with choice in terms of stunning walks nearby.

If you're brave enough you could always go down to Meadowhall, it'll be HEAVING though, personally I think people who insist on going shopping the day after Christmas need to get a grip and a life... What could they possibly want that they didn't get for Christmas?

How about...

to take stuff back that they got for Christmas but didn't want?

There are more refunds than sales on Boxing day and the next few days that follow it.

I know! I have been used by my wife, on occasions, as a place-holder whilst she takes back the pink fluffy slippers that her Gran buys for her every year, from M&S. If only her Gran knew that she isn't the pink fluffy slippers type. But we just daren't hurt her feelings by telling her.

Now, if she'd bought her a short leather skirt and some fishnet tights we'd be talking! :)

Archived