Arthur Scargill makes me proud to be English!

The health question is debatable,would it still exist or would the health and safety aspect have improved,I daresay it would have had to and the technology would have been put in place.

The chance to have the choice would have been nice though,Maggie put the kibosh on that.

I just don't get what was so romantic about dirty back breaking work in such awful conditions with endless health problems? Give me bureaucratic low paid paper shuffling anyday

And the technological advancements would have put them on the dole anyhow, so why still all this fuss about it 20 years later?

Having been invlolved in the strikes of '74, '76 and '84, i found that the only people that benefitted was the union officials. They "appeared" to be no more financially worse off than when they was at work, many, in fact, buying new cars etc shortly after the strikes ended. This, while the workforce struggled to get back on their feet having lost many weeks wages.

Scargill and "his cronies" ought to rot in hell for the damage they caused to the general workforce.

As far as being a failing industry, at the time, English coal was one of the cheapest to produce in the world, it was mainly foreign country subsidies that made it cheaper to import, and we are now paying dearly for the decisions made at that time

There is so unusual understanding go your contribution. I take issue with one small part and that is where blame lies. scargill was a victim of events. he was not responsible for the timing of the strike with the closure of cortonwood the strike began without anything scargill could do. at the egm when all the regions went out and the strike went national scargill spoke neither for or against the action.

The mining industry was dead long before Scargill or Thatcher ever reached any level of power; it was one of a number of long-since-worthless nationalised industries that had been bleeding the country dry for two decades or more before we finally managed to rid of them.
You could be burned at the stake in some parts of South Yorkshire for saying that. Next, you'll be telling them the Earth isn't flat.

This country should be run by the unions whose members create its wealth, not the bankers and politicians who steal its wealth!
The unions have tried to run the country a few times, through their influence on Labour.

Thankfully most people realise that it should be the teachers who run a school, not the kindergarten kiddies.

Archived