New york at christmas

Im not there, but if you look around on Craigslist (US Gumtree) you can meet up with people for dinner and the like. CouchSurfing is a good site to use. You'll stay with a local, who will show you the sites and make you feel at home.

For the first day or say, stick to tourist areas until your comfortable to move forward.

Buy a metrocard. You can buy 7 days at a time. Subways are open most of the day, with some services running night service (its included in the price of your card)

Stay away from Times Sq on NYE. Its a mess, and once they pen you in, you're not allowed to leave - not even to go to the toilet. Once the ball drops, the area is cleared 20 minutes from midnight. Its also a pick pockets wet dream.

Know where the Consulate office is:

845 Third Avenue

New York, NY 10022

Tel: (212) 745-0200

Fax: (212) 754-3062

They'll be able to help you if your passport is stolen and needs replacing or if you need help.

NYC is safe.. Just keep your wits about you.

Bring a good winter coat, hats, gloves with you and some water proof boots, as the weather is a bit cold and wet this time of the year. Due to the skyscrapers, wind rips through the streets so be prepared..

Christmas Day, youll need to book a table in advance or find a decent Chinese and celebrate with the local Jewish families (its a NY traditional) Americans dont do Boxing Day, so everything will go back to normal on the 26th.

Hope this helps a bit... I wont be there, but Im from the area. Also ENJOY your time!

I'm off to new york at Christmas by myself, never been before looking forward to going just a little sacred doing this by myself. do any of you lot no any information which i could use also is anybody from Sheffield going by any chance

wow I did that a few years ago!! Its pretty safe really, I was scared but it has been cleaned up. We walked all over, I would avoid the subway and park at night but everywhere we walked was fine.

Go to time square at night, we went most nights for the walk. The ferry across to staten island gives you a great view of the statue of liberty and manhatten skyline and its free! we did that twice.

We found restaurants and things to do through trip advisor.

Everywhere you go, you recognise things from movies its a bit surreal

The decorations and rockerfeller tree were great.

Ps Go up the rockerfeller centre instead of the empire state building if you have to choose-both are good but the view and price at the rockerfeller is better

thats why I wanted to go at christmas and wanted to see the rockerfeller tree. It took 20 years but I did it!!

Also the charmin toilets may be worth visiting if they are still there (at times square)

The word for that experience would be-bemused!:loopy:

whoops didn't mean to quote myself!

Archived