Is a degree worth the effort if your not A grade?

A degree is more than just what result you get. Its about the time and effort you put into research for your papers. I find I use the methods more than information taught in my degree quite often.

Yeah I'm useless with facts and figures, can't remember half of what I learned but at least I know where to find them, how to sort through what is usefull and what is rubbish etc.

The research, writing, analytical, and surveying skills I've come out with will be invaluable in the future.

Cause' its worth it! Degrees are not just about getting firsts (no one asks what class you got). You learn analytical and research skills, communication processes and to organise a workload plus the loan is not a priority debt.

You will benefit from 3 years at Uni, might not be immediately obvious but trust me it comes in handy.

It's only people that never went to Uni / did'nt get good enough A levels who think its a waste of time.

Stick at it.

Wrong, I don't know about other professions but teaching application forms always ask what classification you achieved.

You're not up to it so don't waste any more money, time or effort in gaining a worthless degree.

Your lack of capitalisation of "I" and use of "your" instead of the correct "you're" in the thread title show that you aren't university material. That's just a realistic assessment and not a criticism.

I wrote my initial comment, quickly, late at night, i didn't realise my english was going to be marked, obviously i take much more care in my university assignments, and certainly my assignments have not been criticised for my grammer

Cause' its worth it! Degrees are not just about getting firsts (no one asks what class you got).

well i was wondering about this, do people just want to know if you have a degree, or do they want to know what "class" of degree you got?

Cause' its worth it! Degrees are not just about getting firsts (no one asks what class you got).

I'm afraid that they do and more importantly where you got it. I think that it was a great mistake to upgrade polytechnics into universities because degrees from some of them are looked upon as second class qualifications.

It's only people that never went to Uni / did'nt get good enough A levels who think its a waste of time.

I don't think that is true at all. I think the problem is that too many people who perhaps should be looking at apprenticeships and technical training are going to university to study for qualifications they probably won't achieve and perhaps don't really need. I went to Uni/ got good enough grades and don't think it is for everyone.

You will benefit from 3 years at Uni, might not be immediately obvious but trust me it comes in handy.

Stick at it.

I agree with you there. Once you've embarked on a course you may as well see it through. There is one thing that employers don't wasn't to see and that is a quitter.

I was never an 'A' grade student - I left my GCSEs with B/C/D's and my A Levels with a C and an E but I still went to university - didn't get onto my chosen course but was offered an alternative and completed my 3 years with a 3rd class BA hons - non one has ever asked me what degree classification I have and I have recently completed my PGCE - so even with a 3rd I was accepted for a post grad course.

I would say keep at it, but I think it depends what your degree is in as to whether it is something that you need for the career you want in the future, for me I had to complete it and do the PGCE to be a teacher.

This is what I'm wondering about now. I'm in Y13 at sixth form and I am just thinking "is there any point?" I've never been one for A grades and I only just scraped through into A2.

If you are not sure and have a chance of a job you could always take the job and then perhaps go to uni at a later date, you are never too old to learn.

Archived