Is £182 enough at Christmas

How much do you spend at Christmas? (including presents, food, etc)  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend at Christmas? (including presents, food, etc)

• under £100
    • £100 - £300
    • £300 - £500
    • £500+

How can you ask whether any amount of money is enough?

'Enough' is a concept created entirely from a subjective point of view, therefore what is 'enough' for one person is 'too much' for another.

If you have £50 available then £182 may be 'enough' but it's also unobtainable, so it's a thoroughly pointless question.

If anybody on a low income manages to get £182 together to spend on having a good time then they've planned through the year to have that available. I couldn't put my hands on that sort of money without planning not to interrupt bill payments.

I think it depends on the individual. I have a lot of people to buy for, so £182 is nowhere near enough for me.

It's enough to buy presents for at least 36 people.

More to the point, if you are struggling, why are you spending money on other people? If they care about you even remotely, they would be telling you not to bother as your own problems are considerably more important.

Every year the Christmas period gets longer and longer. We now have people putting up decorations in November. The shops start stocking them sooner meaning we now have more time to spend more money.

I love Christmas but it is now just too long and costs a fortune

We take one loan out per year, this is to cover the 4 kids Christmas presents.

I know it's a debt, but we can afford the repayments, it's our way of spreading the cost.

We can justify it as it's the one time of year we splash out, and the kids deserve it in our minds.

My eldest (14) sons main present was £179.99, and although that's quite a lot of money to us, it's what he wanted, and he will get his moneys worth from it.

...Maybe you could knit, ...

You've never shopped for yarn, have you, AO? ;) Not an inexpensive option, or an easy one either if you've never attempted to knit a garment.

Of course, well-crafted hand-made items are far superior to the mass-produced equivalent, but don't anticipate the process to be kind to the wallet.

Archived