Mercy shown to drunken attacker because 'they were not used to drinking'

We don't know what they were charged with. We only know that they pled guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm, and were not prosecuted on any more serious charge.

The CPS had the option of prosecuting a more serious charge, but chose not to do so. The judge, in practice, did not have the option of sending them away. The sentencing range for non-premeditated ABH shows a maximum of 26 weeks' imprisonment. This particular case has at least two mitigating circumstances: one, they were unused to alcohol and were acting out of character; two, they believed they were being racially abused. (Now you might not believe those two things to be true, and I might not either, but belief is irrelevant. You can't prove beyond doubt that they are false, and nor can anybody else, because there was no trial!)

Given mitigating circumstances and the non-premeditated nature of the attack, a community order is the correct sentence for ABH. What is repellent about this case is not what the judge did; it's that they have not been prosecuted for anything more serious than ABH. The judge doesn't make that call.

I have not the slightest interest in defending the guilty party or their actions. I'm only defending the judge, whose hands were tied. My argument is simply that those of us who are outraged, should be outraged at the CPS and not at the judge.

I blame the entire system, whether it is racially aggravated to me is irrelevant, the fact they were female and Muslim is irrelevant, when you assault someone in that nature its only luck that you don’t cause their death, and allowing them to go free sucks. It’s time we got harder on those people that commit violent crimes.

The situation in their country doesn't influence their behaviour and doesn't excuse it, these girls are just horrible racist people (they happen to be from Somalia but it's not relevant), the judge should have been more strict.

No, not true, their background will have influenced them.

We don't know what they were charged with. We only know that they pled guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm, and were not prosecuted on any more serious charge.

The CPS had the option of prosecuting a more serious charge, but chose not to do so. The judge, in practice, did not have the option of sending them away. The sentencing range for non-premeditated ABH shows a maximum of 26 weeks' imprisonment. This particular case has at least two mitigating circumstances: one, they were unused to alcohol and were acting out of character; two, they believed they were being racially abused. (Now you might not believe those two things to be true, and I might not either, but belief is irrelevant. You can't prove beyond doubt that they are false, and nor can anybody else, because there was no trial!)

Given mitigating circumstances and the non-premeditated nature of the attack, a community order is the correct sentence for ABH. What is repellent about this case is not what the judge did; it's that they have not been prosecuted for anything more serious than ABH. The judge doesn't make that call.

I have not the slightest interest in defending the guilty party or their actions. I'm only defending the judge, whose hands were tied. My argument is simply that those of us who are outraged, should be outraged at the CPS and not at the judge.

Why is one different from the other 3? (curfew?) Was she the ring leader or instigator according to the others?

http://www.thelawpages.com/court-cases/Hibo-Maxamed-7695-1.law

http://www.thelawpages.com/court-cases/Ayaan-Abdulahi-Maxamed-7697-1.law

http://www.thelawpages.com/court-cases/Ifran-Mohammed-Nur-7696-1.law

http://www.thelawpages.com/court-cases/Ambaro-Abudulahi-Asforr-Maxamed-7698-1.law

No, not true, their background will have influenced them.

So what you are saying is that people from Somalia are influeced by their violent surroundings back in Somalia and are more likely to be violent here because of that?

You make a very good case for blocking all further migration from Somalia including asylum.

So what you are saying is that people from Somalia are influeced by their violent surroundings back in Somalia and are more likely to be violent here because of that?

You make a very good case for blocking all further migration from Somalia including asylum.

It works both ways... it'll make some worse because they either harbour vengeful feelings or just accept such things as "normal" or ok.

On the other hand some will use such horrors to make a difference for the good of humanity.

Sadly these probably fall into the prior case.

Yet another example of how this country is going down the pan in so many ways...

They should spend time in jail, then deported immediately afterwards following compensation payouts to the victim.

As for the judge saying that her boyfriend used unreasonable force, he needs sacking immediately. What a complete tit.

From the midst of the mediocre comes a post that makes complete sense.

I concur with the above post from Paul.

Regards

Angel.

It's to do with your education and values you are taught not your country of origin.

These girls beat the girl not because they are Somali but because they are horrible people just like you can find horrible people from America, Sudan, Uruguay, Sweden, Monaco etc etc etc.

It's not clear cut as to what you're affected by or how, but you are the sum of your experiences.

Where they grew up is where they learnt, what they saw, etc, etc... You can't choose what influences to guess at, only at how it affected the individual by the resulting individual.

(EDIT: some psychologists will say your personality traits are set by about the age of 5)

As you say, there are "horrible" from everywhere, and personally I believe it transcends all races, sexes, economic bands, places of origin, etc... There will always be people at the top and people on the bottom. There are always at least two sides to every story.

Archived