Mercy shown to drunken attacker because 'they were not used to drinking'

So how come this gang of Somali youths come into this country, beat somebody to a pulp, get a suspended sentance, probably won't be deported, yet the racist woman on the tram (whose behaviour I am not excusing btw) who only caused hurt feelings since she didn't physically attack anybody, gets remanded and spends Christmas in jail?

Its wrong.

100% wrong on every single possible level.

The Somalis must have been asylum seekers/successful asylum applicants too, I doubt they got here on a work or student permit. Ironic that they are able to flee the violence in their own country, we give them refuge, a safe haven, then they bring their violent ways to commit against us.

What makes it worse for me is that the judge accepted the womans partner had used unreasonable force on the attackers, what was he supposed to do stand back and say carry on girls? As someone has said about the woman on the tram and her tirade it just isn't justice, it was disgusting what she did but she didn't gang up with others and physically attack someone. I cannot believe that had the boot been on the other foot we would have seen 4 girls getting custodial sentences.

What makes it worse for me is that the judge accepted the womans partner had used unreasonable force on the attackers

I really don't understand the judge's thinking. There was no "unreasonable" about it - he was trying to defend her.

The attackers should be in prison. They could have killed her.

I really don't understand the judge's thinking. There was no "unreasonable" about it - he was trying to defend her.

Having felt the long term repercusions of a single blow to the head i cant understand why these people werent charged with attempted murder.

Like I said, had the boot been on the other foot I am sure we would have seen custodial sentences.

The fact that you're defending somebody doesn't mean you can use any amount of force you choose; you can only use what is reasonable. How that applies to this case is arguable, since the article does not specify what level of force he actually did use.

As to the sentencing - frankly I'm all in favour of first offenders being made to do useful work instead of being locked up. Up to a point; if this attack was as vicious as the report makes it out to be, we're a long way past that point.

Archived