Half of UK against house building in their area

compared to 15% in Germany which has a much more stable and less expensive housing market.

successive governments have restricted house building in favour of a quick buck from property speculators who made fortunes selling the restricted supply of houses in the UK.

If Germany is 15% urbanised which is higher than our 11%, I would expect it to have a higher population density than the UK and it doesn’t.

compared to 15% in Germany which has a much more stable and less expensive housing market.

Couldn't that be down to the amount of rental property there

"The overall house price index for apartments rose by 4.3% during the year to August 2011 (1.85% in real terms), its highest increase since 2006.

The average price of new detached houses was up by 2.8% to €238,484 (0.39% in real terms) from a year earlier.

The average price of existing homes was down by 1.3% to €174,707 (-3.61% in real terms)".

From here

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/Germany/Price-History

It may be less expensive but I'm not sure it's any more stable..

Governments decide on the level of immigration and not the people, they just decide which government we have, probably most people you would call a nimby would be Conservative and it was Labour that increased immigration.

Who vote?

Immigration policy of the 3 main political parties has the same effect.

So it’s not just nimbys that are to blame for immigration its everyone.

Everyone who votes for the big 3, yes.

I would be all for mass immigration, or what we have now, if you like. If a law was passed saying all immigrants had to be housed in areas where the average home cost over £300,000 and it had to be outside London, and as the areas changed the immigrants were housed accordingly. I'll bet you if such a law was passed the big 3 would stop immigration overnight. Why? It's easy to be a liberal until you become a victim.

successive governments have restricted house building in favour of a quick buck from property speculators who made fortunes selling the restricted supply of houses in the UK.

Germany has much less of its population who own (mortgage) a home and that's probably why it has a more stable and cheaper housing market. Most of the other countries that don't rely so much on the private house owning market also suffered less from the housing crash.

The governments in this country since Thatcher have realised that getting people to mortgage themselves up to the hilt with a very large debt was good for the economy. One of the reasons the RTB was not rescinded by a subsequent Labour government and new affordable rented social housing was almost abandoned. It was all done under the pretext of "bettering oneself" when in fact it was a big con.

There is still plenty of available land in Sheffield and elsewhere to build more affordable rented accommodation on but for some strange reason the finances are not forthcoming.

Germany has much less of its population who own (mortgage) a home and that's probably why it has a more stable and cheaper housing market. Most of the other countries that don't rely so much on the private house owning market also suffered less from the housing crash.

The governments in this country since Thatcher have realised that getting people to mortgage themselves up to the hilt with a very large debt was good for the economy. One of the reasons the RTB was not rescinded by a subsequent Labour government and new affordable rented social housing was almost abandoned. It was all done under the pretext of "bettering oneself" when in fact it was a big con.

There is still plenty of available land in Sheffield and elsewhere to build more affordable rented accommodation on but for some strange reason the finances are not forthcoming.

That’s not quite right; I had a mortgage that was smaller than council rent, now I have no mortgage and no rent. If I had never bought I would still pay rent.

Archived