Will a "Robin Hood" tax ruin everything?

The Tobin (Robin Hood) Tax is an extremely sensible solution to resolving the economic crisis. It wouldn't affect ordinary individuals (those who aren't uber-rich) at all as it would only impact on financial institution. As earlier commenters have pointed out the small potential loss in GDP would be offset by greater stability and higher tax revenue. Moreover it would mean the the burden of the crisis is being borne by those who caused the crisis rather than us long suffering citizens...

Hi jon, thanks for the late contribution but it has already been concluded that the Robin Hood tax is not a good idea. The best way for your 'long suffering citizens' to ease the burden is to turn their backs on benefits and to gain employment. :)

The Tobin (Robin Hood) Tax is an extremely sensible solution to resolving the economic crisis. It wouldn't affect ordinary individuals (those who aren't uber-rich) at all as it would only impact on financial institution. As earlier commenters have pointed out the small potential loss in GDP would be offset by greater stability and higher tax revenue. Moreover it would mean the the burden of the crisis is being borne by those who caused the crisis rather than us long suffering citizens...

As a small saver(1.56m)I would be concerned that I may be taxed every time I deposit money in my Batley,Castleford and Dewsbury BS Small Saver ISA account.How is an isa an isa if it is subject to PAYE rates of tax with an MRT of 20% and an EU Trans Tax of 0.1 %,which applies to the capital not the deposit?

Hi jon, thanks for the late contribution but it has already been concluded that the Robin Hood tax is not a good idea. The best way for your 'long suffering citizens' to ease the burden is to turn their backs on benefits and to gain employment. :)

That may be your conclusion but I agree with Jon

As a small saver(1.56m)I would be concerned that I may be taxed every time I deposit money in my Batley,Castleford and Dewsbury BS Small Saver ISA account.How is an isa an isa if it is subject to PAYE rates of tax with an MRT of 20% and an EU Trans Tax of 0.1 %,which applies to the capital not the deposit?

Answer the question jon.

Manofstrad, I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that you were the undisputed global authority on economic policy. My mistake. If you've made your decision then, of course, nobody should offer any other as you clearly have been empowered to make conclusions on behalf of 7 billion global citizens.

I have a job, but thanks for your concern. In fact as founder of two start-up businesses I am seeking to create employment for many other long suffering citizens during challenging economic times where there aren't enough jobs for everyone. I'm glad to hear that you have achieved full employment in your ivory tower though. There's some positive economic news for a change.

By the way though, not wanting to doubt your global economic policy authority credentials but... the Tobin Tax is a very sound idea and would undoubtedly help to reduce inequality in society (unless of course that is something you are in favour of). The issue is implementation. If only one nation introduces it then they disadvantage their financial markets as it becomes marginally cheaper to transact elsewhere. However Chancellor Merkel is leading the way in pushing for the tax to be implemented across the EU - thus reducing any potential national loses considerably. If introduced on a global level, or even just by the largest economies, then the affect would be negligible and yet national governments would gain from vastly increased tax revenue to continue to pay for public services. The theory is very simple - it's getting unilateral agreement that's the difficult part.

PS gnvqsos: You wouldn't be taxed on your ISA - the Tobin Tax would only be on short term foreign exchange transactions so wouldn't affect the ordinary person whatsoever. It is aimed at financial institutions and traders only i.e. the uber-wealthy who can more than afford to pay a 0.5% tax on transactions that are likely to make them more money anyway.

Very good. You are charitable and sympathise with the under dog, I like those qualities in a person. PM me with your CV (I make no promises though.) :)

Very Droll.I will keep my C.V. for the time being.You don't sound like the type of employer I would want to work for.

Arrogance is not an attractive quality in a man.:gag:

Very good. You are charitable and sympathise with the under dog, I like those qualities in a person. PM me with your CV (I make no promises though.) :)

So do I sympathise with the underdog. In the words of the immortal Yosser Hughes, geerz a job. I can do that:D

Archived