Interests of Britain or intrests of Europe paramount?

So Cameron is talking the talk about fighting for British interests in Europe but isn't it time we looked at preserving European interests in an unstable world?

Perhaps British interests have to be put to one side for the common European good to try and stabalise the Euro and stop this mad spiral of debt and increased interest on borrowing.

So Cameron is talking the talk about fighting for British interests in Europe but isn't it time we looked at preserving European interests in an unstable world?

Perhaps British interests have to be put to one side for the common European good to try and stabalise the Euro and stop this mad spiral of debt and increased interest on borrowing.

I don't see the two issues as being mutually exclusive, it is in the UKs interest that the Euro Zone doesn't fail.

If stabilising the Euro means an undemocratic new country consisting of 17 former sovereign states. A new country that is committed to using taxpayer money to backstop all the toxic debts of the banks for years to come. A new country run by technocrats who can override the wishes of voters at will, undemocratically imposing punative austerity measures from the centre.

Then we need to step back from that and review what being in the EU means for us. I don't think most of us will like what we see and we will need the right to decide whether we want it or not. If our politicians deny us that they will seriously regret it.

The Euro is effectively dead IMO. Not worth saving. The bust is coming anyway so let's get it over with because the longer we wait the worse it is going to be.

aren't they basically the same?

I get the impression that the Euro will be saved at any cost and Cameron, being torn between Europe and his Party's desire for a referendum will effectively render him useless.

I think you're right. They will save it at massive cost all round. It will survive for a time. Then it will implode. In the meantime the major British political parties, not just the Tories, will be torn apart by it all.

I get the impression that the Euro will be saved at any cost and Cameron, being torn between Europe and his Party's desire for a referendum will effectively render him useless.

The Euro will be saved, have no doubt about that. There are far too many powerful people with vested interests to allow any other outcome.

Cameron will be fine too. Merkosy wont want a UK referendum, therefore the only logical outcome is a series of concessions to the UK in the form of opt outs.

Keep calm, the end game is near. For a while at least.

The Euro will be saved, have no doubt about that. There are far too many powerful people with vested interests to allow any other outcome.

Cameron will be fine too. Merkosy wont want a UK referendum, therefore the only logical outcome is a series of concessions to the UK in the form of opt outs.

Keep calm, the end game is near. For a while at least.

That sounds like a good enough plan to me. We get to step further back from it all and let the 17 carry on with their insane plans. Hopefully Cameron will do a decent job for us.

That sounds like a good enough plan to me. We get to step further back from it all and let the 17 carry on with their insane plans. Hopefully Cameron will do a decent job for us.

I was going to add that I favour your approach up there ^^^.

It is time for the Euro to go, but it wont. Not yet, anyway.

Archived