How long does it take to heal a broken hand?

The important thing to remember is that if there was any damage to the soft tissue of any joint ligament or tendon, then these can actually take longer to heal than bone and can cause more long lasting pain than a broken bone too. With one of my ankle sprains I was still in significant pain 6 months later, whereas when I took the growing plate of the end of my tibia I didn't have a full pot on and, apart from strapping it well, didn't change my routine at all (and continued to take the dog out and go to the gym).

Recovery also depends on the particular site of the injury. For instance the scaphoid bone, which is the one that goes from the wrist to the base of the thumb, is renowned for taking a long time to heal because your thumb takes all of the strain that your fingers take combined and the way that hands work mean that if you clench your thumb for anything from tying a shoe lace to opening a bottle you can cause partially healed scaphoid breaks to reopen. I know 3 people who have had ongoing problems with scaphoid break.

Recently healed breaks also can cause problems with pain even when they are structurally healed and I'm afraid in those instances there is little that can be done other than pushing on through that pain to get the hand back in use and take painkillers when you need them. Getting very cold can leave you having pain at the site of the break for months, even if the bone is perfectly well healed, and are not a sign of anything going wrong at all.

If you're in any doubt then you need to consult your doctor again and either get more x-rays or see if there's any physiotherapy available to help. You may just be told that it will heal when it heals and that nothing you can do will speed it up though.

Sounds more like a sprain/bruising. Should mend itself with rest. If still a prob after a day or two go back to Doc...........Dont worry, its nothing dangerous..

6 to 7 weeks and you think a day or two more is required before going back???

6 to 7 weeks and you think a day or two more is required before going back???

Its that cheap watch I bought off you, time flies...:hihi:

Have actually been there, same kind of thing only ankle. It eventually sorted itself out but 20 years on and the arthritis started........funnily enough in that very ankle.

Hands and feet have LOADS of bones, only very serious injuries have surgery to set the break. Most sort themselves out. I know they can hurt but there is very little the hospital can do. If it is potted up, it will stiffen so better to put up with a little pain and keep all the joints mobile. My arthritis is now so bad I have to use a stick and force myself to walk. If I dont walk then..........thats it, mobility scooter.

Try and get medics to have another look, but i feel sure they will tell you just to 'get on with it'.

• 2 months later...

Bone can take 6 weeks to heal or months! If it's not healing, there are things out there to help. I broke my tibia my few years back and it took over a 18 months. Needed to use Exogen to get it to heal after 2 operations on it. May be worth having a look into if it's still not healed.

Archived