The national defence authorization act. Frredom = overrated?

Now you know it isn't tripe Harleyman, does it change your opinion? Do you feel like there might actually be something sinister behind the government's plans?

Can anyone still argue that we live in a free and fair society? I mean honestly?

This is Sheffield Forum, UK, most of us don't live in the USA.

Incidently (my own opinion)..

I think the only reason why the democrats are threatening to veto the bill is because it would officially declare "enemy combatants" as prisoners of war. That would mean they would be given the protections offered the Geneva Conventions. I think Obama prefers the term "enemy combatants" because that gives him the legal wiggle room to TORTURE PEOPLE TOO.

This is Sheffield Forum, UK, most of us don't live in the USA.

There was some debate as to whether this applies to American Citizens. It certainly applies to Sheffielders.

Our government (with Nick Clegg of Sheffield Hallam, second in command) is quite happy to cosy up with the U.S. and provide substantial assistance in the "war on terror"

If a drone strike wiped out your house and family, do you think David Cameron would defend you? Or just roll over and let the Americans kidnap and torture you?

That means it's relevant to us.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/12/05/the-national-defense-authorization-act-is-the-greatest-threat-to-civil-liberties-americans-face/

It doesn't look good from that article.

There are a few articles in mainstream us media, they didn't do a fantastic job on the coverup, discussing it all in public, in congress & everything.

They can't hide the facts as discussed in congress. They can make sure it isn't on the Fox news at 6 or on CNN. Like Harleyman says he hasn't heard a word of it. You would only really find it on the internet if you knew about it already (and googled it) or if you read alternative news sites already, which most people don't

Where on earth did you get this load of tripe from? I live here and haven't heard a word about it

Its all over the internet and been debated on many forums.

It is dangerous because it all "suspects" to be detained without charge and with no right to appeal.

Basically, anyone the security forces take a dislike to can be banged up with no worries about things like evidence.

Besides that, the yanks can't be trusted. Ask Khalid el-Masri.

It appears to be a war measures act of some sort. Since we're not at war I wont lose any sleep over it

The Americans think they are at war "The war on Terror." They think it is a real war and that it will last till god knows when.

They have used this phoney war to grant themselves all kinds of powers usually reserved for times of actual war such as assassinations, indefinite detention, torture the removal of basic human rights even invasions of whole countries.

Habeas corpus is still alive and well also

Can you even read? I just posted the contents of the legislation that is about to remove Habeas corpus. I even went to the trouble of digging out the exact section to read.

Just stating something doesn't make it so Harleyman

Its all over the internet and been debated on many forums.

It is dangerous because it all "suspects" to be detained without charge and with no right to appeal.

Basically, anyone the security forces take a dislike to can be banged up with no worries about things like evidence.

Besides that, the yanks can't be trusted. Ask Khalid el-Masri.

The security forces dislike OWS and other dissenters. The war on terror is really a war on dissent. Protesting is described as low-level terrorism by the DOD.

Anyone who objects to banker control of our politicians is now at risk of loosing their freedom forever.

Archived