Who is responsible for damage from wheelie bin attacks?

My car was hit with a bin on Gleadless common today.

Broke the headlight, the indicator and dented the wing.

Im not paying for it and neither is my insurance company so i put a note through the letterbox of the bins owner, went and got a quote (£354.82) and posted her a copy through the letterbox as well.

If she dosent pay then ill take her to court:rant:

There is no way you can demonstrate which bin was involved if it was a bin.You can take her to court and end up looking more foolish,paying two sets of costs which will exceed the £354.82.

Thats quite an unpleasant post.

The wind didnt damage my car. Someones wheelie bin did. I manage to secure mine from rolling into the road and besides, the owner of the bin obviously has better morals than you as shes been in contact and wants my to have a second quote done.

Thats not to say she will pay for it but i supose its better than hearing nothing back.

If she is willing to pay the bill I would advise her to refer the matter to her domestic insuarance.Having morals should not mean that you are a bit naive and paying for something which is not your fault.

There is no way you can demonstrate which bin was involved if it was a bin.You can take her to court and end up looking more foolish,paying two sets of costs which will exceed the £354.82.

Yes i can quite easily. Im not stupid, i didnt just write a letter to some random house with no proof of what i was saying.

Yes i can quite easily. Im not stupid, i didnt just write a letter to some random house with no proof of what i was saying.

On our road people swap bins from time to time-we are very communal and willing to share.Therefore if my bin dented a car I would simply say it had been used the week before by a neighbour.I certainly would not pay someone who parked near my bin or hit the bin by driving in a reckless fashion.

My car was hit with a bin on Gleadless common today.

Broke the headlight, the indicator and dented the wing.

Im not paying for it and neither is my insurance company so i put a note through the letterbox of the bins owner, went and got a quote (£354.82) and posted her a copy through the letterbox as well.

If she dosent pay then ill take her to court:rant:

So if someone works 9-5, and bins are collected at 9:30am, what are they expected to do with their bin?

I think it is quite mean to demand payment from an individual who has not been negligent, because you "don't want" to claim on your insurance.

I would hope that the person who fills the bin (who is not the "owner" and does not dictate collection routine and policy) sees your post about not "wanting" to go through insurance, and wakes up to you and realises that they are not at fault.

Unless they failed to take in their bin as required

So if someone works 9-5, and bins are collected at 9:30am, what are they expected to do with their bin?

I think it is quite mean to demand payment from an individual who has not been negligent, because you "don't want" to claim on your insurance.

I would hope that the person who fills the bin (who is not the "owner" and does not dictate collection routine and policy) sees your post about not "wanting" to go through insurance, and wakes up to you and realises that they are not at fault.

Unless they failed to take in their bin as required

Here here,this is an excellent observation which clarifies the situation.

Im not into forum peeing contests boys.

Ive already said the owner of the bin has been in touch and seems like a reasonable women. Im taking my car to her garage to have a quote done so i assume she intends to pay some or all of the cost.

Thats all ive got to say on the subject.

Im not into forum peeing contests boys.

Ive already said the owner of the bin has been in touch and seems like a reasonable women. Im taking my car to her garage to have a quote done so i assume she intends to pay some or all of the cost.

Thats all ive got to say on the subject.

Well its her call,and your story.I was intersted in your reference to your leisure activities.I had no interest and I really dont think the others are into such pastimes but perhaps your woman friend can assist?

The council are ultimately responsible or Veolia. But it would be probably classed as act of God. As for the person who suggested going home at lunch-time, you are having a laugh. If you go on public transport and work 7 miles from home as I do , have 45 minute lunchbreak how the hell can you. Also on my street they empty bins between 7 and 8am, by lunch-time the bins would have been flying around for at least 4 hours:huh::huh:

Archived