No more free bus passes at 60 years old!

Because it was based on female retirment age which is rising. Try watching the news someteimes, and it's not a Conservative policy.

You are right, it was Tory Policy.

At that time, only the LibDems stood against it.

The Tory Nulabor, and the Tory Conservatives were in favour of it.

Now however times have changed.

We have Tory Conservatives, Tory Lib Dems, and Tory Nulabor.

I use Tory in its true sense as thieves and robbers by the way.

No one should get free travel just for getting old.

Any one who is awarded one and doesn't use it frequently should have it removed.

I have had mine for 7yrs and never used it on a bus. I use it on the tram 2or 3 times per month.

So the admin of taking it from me would probably cost far than my usage.

By the way no one is awarded one,it is something people are entitled to when reaching a certain age, and it is not compulsary to to have one.

Just after my 60th early this year, I went into the bus sation office and said 'I have just turned 60 and come for my bus pass!'

The woman replied, 'You'll have long wait then, you wont get it while next year'

The reason is that as womens retirements ages are going up, so are all our benefits,

So I dont get mine while 61, someone younger than me, pro rata.

Blair and Cameron (andthat bloke inbetween, what was his name now, I forget;) ) should be taken out and shot, to paraphrase Jemery Clarkson

Same here Balpin. My 60th was in April and I did what you did and went to bus station, got same response - got to wait till next year

No one should get free travel just for getting old.

Any one who is awarded one and doesn't use it frequently should have it removed.

I'm ok then, I use mine at least 4 or 5 times every week. ;)

As our pensions are only a little bit above what we'd get if we were on full pension credit, I actually feel entitled. I've calculated that if my OH and I had no pensions over and above our state pensions, and if we lived in rented accommodation, we'd be getting more from the government than we actually have coming in. Pension + full credit + council tax benefit + housing benefit + free dental treatment + free glasses. :o

Women of my age didn't get home responsibilities NI credits - so I missed out for the years I was at home with the children. We also had to pay contributions for a longer time than people only a couple of years younger than us in order to qualify for a full state pension. A full pension is payable now after 30 years of NI contributions, but for me it was 39 and for men of my age it was 44 years.

We've been shafted by the introduction of means tested 'pension credit' instead of increasing basic pensions to a reasonable amount. So on behalf of pensioners who did try to help themselves just a little bit, please leave our travel passes alone.

Thank You!

oh murphy i assume you are a car owner?

it may not be important to you but for some of us it would be a total disaster.:help:

(Before you read this, you have to imagine it's being said in a sincere voice ok. No anger, no bitterness, no Halibut)

Oh Janie, yes I have my own transport at present, one is a pain the other a thrill. At some point in my life the car will be redundant, the bike hopefully will be a part of my life for a little longer. Inevitably both will be beyond my capability and it may be that I will have to use public transport. If and when that time comes and it's free, that'll be good, if I need to pay that'll be the way it is. My concern would be that they were there when I needed them not how much it's likely to cost.

I just don't place that much importance on these things, you might, we're all different. And no, i'm far from being rich :)

(Before you read this, you have to imagine it's being said in a sincere voice ok. No anger, no bitterness, no Halibut)

Oh Janie, yes I have my own transport at present, one is a pain the other a thrill. At some point in my life the car will be redundant, the bike hopefully will be a part of my life for a little longer. Inevitably both will be beyond my capability and it may be that I will have to use public transport. If and when that time comes and it's free, that'll be good, if I need to pay that'll be the way it is. My concern would be that they were there when I needed them not how much it's likely to cost.

I just don't place that much importance on these things, you might, we're all different. And no, i'm far from being rich :)

i do have a tendency to make a " mountain out of a molehill " at times,but that is a woman's preogative. ;)

Archived