Changes in Driving lessons (incl. motorway lessons)

The day after I passed my driving test I had a lesson specifically on motorway driving and I would recommend doing that to anyone. Not sure letting learners on motorways is necessarily a good idea though.

But once they have mastered a busy d/c with hidden on-ramp, lay-bys, joint on/off ramps (the Parkway, Dronfield by-pass) the motorway is an extension of what they already have experience of.

Agreed

I find, for instance, the A63 at the end of the M62 much more hazardous than the usually clear 3-lane motorway - It's a motorway-speed road with two lanes, numerous very short slip roads necessitating braking before leaving the main carriageway and petrol stations with short slip roads on and off - and no hard shoulder for breakdowns.

There are other motorways with hazards such as multiple merges or sudden busy spots but these are quite localised and would not be experienced anyway in a driving lesson by someone who, like myself learned to drive around Hull (hence my example of the A63 where I learned my 70mph driving)

I don't think allowing training is a bad thing - it allows someone who may want to use a junction that is faster/more hazardous/more "scary" than normal under training. On certain junctions (the one near Leeds with roads merging and splitting at the same time was a 'mare last time thanks to being behind a motorist apparently panicking - concentration is required at busy times and having to devote extra concentration to the one in front was an unwelcome distraction. I'd rather have a supervised learner than a frightened newbie to be honest.

Motorway driving is easy, they should take them on to nsl country roads at night.

I recall waiting for an elderly couple from the Isle of Wight. They were 24 hours late for their appointment for work on their vehicle because they rarely drove outside IoW and driving to Sheffield they ended up at Scotch Corner and spending the night there because "the big lorries wouldn't let us off the motorway"

I don't mind learner using the motorway as long as they don't have one of those loony driving instructors that have them doing 20mph on a national speed limit road.

I very much doubt any driving instructor who takes any pride or satisfaction in their pass rate would have students doing that.

Unless of course their student's location was rural with no other roads to take earlier lessons on

I very much doubt any driving instructor who takes any pride or satisfaction in their pass rate would have students doing that.

Unless of course their student's location was rural with no other roads to take earlier lessons on

A couple of them do it on a regular basis where I drive it always seems to be the same ones, most appear to take them on faster roads only when they can cope. I’m not sure why you think it would affect their pass rate though.

Archived