The Sheffield derby 1979 (Hillsborough)

kirky

Ah PT,

The years have gone by and time softens the blows.

I no longer cook their tea and they are to well mannered and polite to taunt their poor old Mom.

So I shall recove from the bitter blow and as memories of the past remain more real shall still think of my triuumph on that boxing day of years ago.

hazel

Originally posted by davep

:gag:

Our tactics were wrong that day because Wendy double man-marked Alex Sabella. He went deeper and deeper until he was almost on our 18 yard box, which meant you could easily play with 4/5 upfront. I was screaming at our management to get Sabella up the wing. It wouldn't matter if he hadn't touched the ball for the rest of the match, he would have taken 2 of yours completely out of it, so it would have been effectively 10 v 9 in our favour, which may have changed the result considerably.

were you really there or did I fall asleep or summat? you'll be saying next you lot deserved to win the semi in 93:confused:

This was the last football match I went to. Once I got married, that was it, no need to keep up the pretence of being interested.

It was pretty scary though on the Leppings Lane end. It was packed so full, and as I was only a 7 stone weakling then, I got pushed and carried all over ... my feet didnt touch the ground! I was relieved to get out of there alive.

I was at both Hillsborough and the Lane. I have always supported both Sheffield clubs - half the misery, twice the joy. Great occassions both matches - massive crowds, passionate football.

Nice to see that 30,500 were at the Lane for the latest derby this Saturday. United are still up there, but not playing well and Wednesday are still down there, but playing well.

Originally posted by Plain Talker

Yes, glaham, the Lane was packed virtually to the rafters, all four sides, home and away!

it was absolutely thrumming. the atmosphere was fantastic.

(And even more fantastic, for me, as a blade to see us get a win.)

PT

:rant::suspect::gag: NO COMMENT!:rant::suspect::gag:

:cry:

Hi pt.;)