The Sheffield derby 1979 (Hillsborough)

kirky

Originally posted by dishwasher

Somewhere on this forum someone has posted a video from Look North (or Calendar) about the Boxing Day derby at Hillsborough.

I've no idea where it is or who posted it. And even if I was able to find it, I'm not computer savvy enough to add one of those thingies that allows everyone to access it instantly.

It makes fascinating viewing. I wish somebody who knows more about computers than me could dredge it up. It contains plenty of build-up stuff, plus all of the goals. If you look closely, you'll notice that they were all offside!

Yes, I was at the game. One of (at least) three Unitedites on the kop.

From what I remember it started badly and went downhill very quickly, for those of a red and white persuasion.

I have no memory about the buses being on strike, or whatever, but it was mentioned in the video/news footage.

I can remember nothing about the journey to or from the game.

But I do remember seeing an awful lot of very happy Wednesday fans!

I think the match attracted 48,000 spectators which I understand is a record for a Division Three game.

The return match took place at Easter and more than 45,000 crammed into the Lane for that showdown which ended 1-1.

If my memory serves me well, didn't Terry Curran score a bit of a fluke to earn the Owls a point?

That TC goal was amazing, still looks good even now !

• 1 month later...

stevo,

know you haven't been on this chat room for a while, but just looking thru some stuff and I used to live on standon crescent, went to the same school as you (concord) AND have exactly the same birthday. Was trying to open the picture of 1972-73 cos to be honest I remember all the names but not sure if I was in that class or not. having gone on your website I think I know where you lived.

good to see that you are supporting the blue and white wizards from filey (lovely place but usually do whitby when out that way). Still keep in touch with a few 1972-73 Concordians.

did you go to hinde house ?????

Hope you are well and drop me a response as and when

Ive got some BBC Match Of The Day footage of the 1980 Easter Saturday derby, Sheff Utd 1 - 1 Sheff Wed. TC from the wing beats 4 United players then shoots from all of 30 yards past the hapless Utd keeper.

Earlier on in the game he blatently stamps on United's Tony Kenworthy in front of the referee as well and gets away with it. He also slaps him across the face for good measure.

I was there, Boxing Day 1979 was the day Wednesday turned the tide again in Sheffield football, we had been No 2 in the city since 1970/71 and this eagerly anticipated derby match will remain in history as The Boxing Day Massacre - Ian Mellor became a Hillsborogh legend that day !

Watch the highlights my red n white piggy friends http://www.david.capel.btinternet.co.uk/football.htm

Remember the day well. No public transport so I got a lift with a couple who lived near me, only problem they were Wendys and I'm a Blade. Had to go for a drink with them after the match to Wadsley Jack and I was the only the Blade in the pub. Kept my scarf on all the time in the pub though and even had Wendys complimenting me for showing my colours after getting stuffed.

What did we expect though with Teflon in goal :loopy:

I was there, Boxing Day 1979 was the day Wednesday turned the tide again in Sheffield football, we had been No 2 in the city since 1970/71 and this eagerly anticipated derby match will remain in history as The Boxing Day Massacre - Ian Mellor became a Hillsborogh legend that day !

Watch the highlights my red n white piggy friends http://www.david.capel.btinternet.co.uk/football.htm

Excellent stuff. I remember it well. Saw some similar footage on Rock n Roll Goals on ITV just before Crimbo. Even now it makes me glow:thumbsup:

Unfortunately - me and my cousin - two blades with a fmaily of Wednesday sat in the North stand amongst the blue and white hordes.

Just watched that film, and now suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - bad memories.

Oh well, not long before Utd get the chance to put it right!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I did go to the Boxing day massacre. At the time I'd moved to the East Coast, so I travelled down to Sheffield in my Ford Capri, with my little blade brother and a neutral friend.

I thought the day was going to pan out badly, as I saw three broken down Capris' during the journey and I had to park mine at the top of a hill, because the starter motor was a bit tempremental. :gag:

I don't remember too much about the game, apart from it being billed as a battle between Sabella and Curran. I think the crowd was 49000 ish, and we sat in the south stand.

Strangely my little blade brother has never forgotten the game and is hoping for revenge in a couple of weeks time! :loopy: