Any one remember ABC pictures in town

When the A.B.C. cinema was built around 1962 it wasn't the biggest in Sheffield never mind England. The Odeon (Flat Street) and the Gaumont (Barker's Pool) were larger.

And the Odeon is still there ,Hallam Uni have not yet taken it over but!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Earthdragon ~ Please Note

I was an ardent picturegoer (took the magazine for years) and for my money I think the Regent later to become the Gaumont before they messed about with it was by far the most impressive cinema in Sheffield and I visited a lot of cinemas in my time, used to go 3 or 4 times a week, I hardly ever go now, the last visit I made was on Jersey some years ago when "Mamma Mia" was all the rage.

I won't argue with you about the old Gaumont. It was scandalous what they did to it. Going to the Gaumont used to be a proper night out - almost like walking into a palace. Definitely the best cinema I've ever been to. Another good cinema was the old Odeon, before it became a bingo hall.

I was also an ardent cinema goer and bought all the magazines so that I could read about my favourite actors. Since the transition to small screens and sound that hurts your eardrums, however, I prefer to watch films in the comfort of my own home.

When the A.B.C. cinema was built around 1962 it wasn't the biggest in Sheffield never mind England. The Odeon (Flat Street) and the Gaumont (Barker's Pool) were larger.

Not the largest cinema, but the largest screen.

• 2 weeks later...
I also remember the ABC went there in early 60s on a school trip we saw ben her could not get over how big the screen was and sound coming from all directions great day out
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6155764035886971009

Hi Rodbender, Not sure what year this picture was taken but look on

board above it might give some idea, i dont even know what year it closed

for good. the only time i ever went in the A B C was the see Ben Hur twice.

Its a 99p shop now on Snig Hill. :suspect:

Thinking of the old ABC in town, brings happy memories of going into the city with my mum. As we got off the bus in Bridge street, where the terminus was back then, we walked up Angel street deciding whether to go into the Spot cafe, on the corner... or be drawn by the gorgeous smell of coffee and climb the steps in the ABC. Glass coffee cup "exotic" brown sugar ....hmm.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6155764035886971009

Don't know when it closed, but the photo shows 2 films from around 1984, so it was still on the go then. I left the country in 1981 and didn't have a trip back until 1995, and to be honest, as " tourist" the last thing I was looking out for was a cinema. I was too concerned with visiting old watering holes...lol. Funny how one of the films in your photo was a Monty Python one, as the last film I saw at the ABC was the Life of Brian, mid70's

Edited by TORONTONY

Thinking of the old ABC in town, brings happy memories of going into the city with my mum. As we got off the bus in Bridge street, where the terminus was back then, we walked up Angel street deciding whether to go into the Spot cafe, on the corner... or be drawn by the gorgeous smell of coffee and climb the steps in the ABC. Glass coffee cup "exotic" brown sugar ....hmm.

Did that route a few times, forgot about the Spot café. The hill you walked up was, by the way. Snig Hill (Bridge Street to Castle Street), Angel Street was where the A.B.C. was.

the 99p shop is WHERE the ABC was, the cinema din't become the shop.

The cinema was demolished 20 ish years ago, and became a car-park for a long time before the hotel and shop below it were built.