Twiggy - comments on how kids today have it tough

Twiggy (the retired fashion model) is in the news today

I don't quite understand her point, when she was a teen (in the 60's) the proportion of people able to go to university was far lower than it is today, 80 to 90 percent lower I think!

She's entitled to an opinion of course, but I don't see why the main stream media is bothering to report it since she doesn't appear to understand the basic facts behind the subject...

Her comments demonstrate why she became a model and not an accountant; I still find it surprising that people still think students can’t afford university fees, or is it a case that they don’t want to understand.

Wrong. Once you're in, it's virtually impossible to get a fail, as they'll have to wave goodbye to your tuition fees for the following year. There have been some very public incidents over old-school tutors sticking to their principles and refusing to pass dud students, only to be sacked by the management of the university - Leeds was one such establishment. Industrial tribunal upheld the unfair dismissal complaint, but it didn't get them their job back

If you say so.

I know some ex students who failed though, maybe they should call you and you can make it have happened differently.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2075348/One-in-seven-students-drops-out-of-university.html

1 in 7 fail to even reach their final exams.

In total, nearly a quarter of undergraduates failed to complete their degrees as thousands also transferred to other universities or gained lesser qualifications, while the failure rate soared to half at one new university.

Wrong. Once you're in, it's virtually impossible to get a fail, as they'll have to wave goodbye to your tuition fees for the following year. There have been some very public incidents over old-school tutors sticking to their principles and refusing to pass dud students, only to be sacked by the management of the university - Leeds was one such establishment. Industrial tribunal upheld the unfair dismissal complaint, but it didn't get them their job back

Are you saying that kids can't fail a degree? Even right at the end?

Her comments demonstrate why she became a model and not an accountant; I still find it surprising that people still think students can’t afford university fees, or is it a case that they don’t want to understand.
It's interesting how many of them can afford to run a car though - that one always has me confused

Are you saying that kids can't fail a degree? Even right at the end?
Depending upon the establishment, and its standards

Look at the standard of student they're taking on in the first place - just have a quick look back through any of the 'please do my homework for me' threads posted on here, for the most part so badly written that in the past their application would have been binned by any self respecting educational establishment

See the article I just linked instead. 1/4 fail to complete.

Maybe you can find some other statistics that show 0% failing?

there's a world of difference between 'fail' and 'fail to complete' - finances and homesickness are just two reasons for failing to complete

She's clearly right.

I mean, when I was growing up, all there was to worry about was the cold war with the USSR and the nuclear arms race, the three day week and power cuts, the oil shock of 1973, inflation at 25%, unemployment reaching 1 million then rapidly climbing to 3 million, endless strikes leading ultimately to the winter of discontent and the inexplicable popularity of beige throughout the 1970s.

We had it easy.

She's clearly right.

I mean, when I was growing up, all there was to worry about was the cold war with the USSR and the nuclear arms race, the three day week and power cuts, the oil shock of 1973, inflation at 25%, unemployment reaching 1 million then rapidly climbing to 3 million, endless strikes leading ultimately to the winter of discontent and the inexplicable popularity of beige throughout the 1970s.

We had it easy.

Exactly. She might have had it easy herself, clearly she was quite privileged as she went to uni, but easier in general today than then, I don't think so.

Archived