What became of The Cowboys..

grinder

No not the bad workmen, I mean the American western kind.

When I was a kid we called The Carlton picture house on the Arbourthorne "the Ranch house" I was later surprised to find out there were several picture houses called this which just go's to show how many Cowboy pictures there were back in those days...

Roy Rodgers and Trigger, Gene Autry and Champion,the Lone Ranger and silver,

even their horses were stars, every major Hollywood star had made or appeared in a Western at one time or another..

Even TV in the early day's of the Black and white screen was full of cowboy series, Champion the wonder horse,The Lone Ranger, The Cisco Kid, Wagon train, Rawhide, Bonanza, Maverick, Tender foot, High Chaparral, there was even a Kung Fu western.

Most of our hero's back then had high moral standards only the baddies would rob anyone or shoot any body in the back and women no matter what their occupation were treated like ladies ..

Now Except for the odd movie they have vanished and all we seem to get in their place are Police series and quiz shows on TV and all the film hero's are Geezers..

Where have all those western good guys gone ?

Never a great lover of cowboys & indians. Liked "spagetti" westerns better. Watched Outlaw Josie Wales last night and like Clint Eastwood a lot. If the popular era for westerns was about the 1950's, that would make the difference in time about 100 years after the real wild west. Maybe in 2011 we should be watching films set around the early 20th century. Anything interesting happen in the period before the Great War?

those tv westerns were really popular in the 60s-70s as a child i enjoyed them too.

there is now more awareness and often some criticism about the stereotyping of the native indians in early western films--portraying the white americans as the "goodies" and the indians as the "baddies"

one later film that expressed a message more favourable towards the Native American,was that very successful film "Dances with Wolves"

those tv westerns were really popular in the 60s-70s as a child i enjoyed them too.

there is now more awareness and often some criticism about the stereotyping of the native indians in early western films--portraying the white americans as the "goodies" and the indians as the "baddies"

one later film that expressed a message more favourable towards the Native American,was that very successful film "Dances with Wolves"

Dances with wolves..dragged out for 3 hours. could have been done in much less time

Archived