What became of The Cowboys..

grinder

Like Patto I had the Davy Crocket set with the odd hat. About 1953 I would think. Dad used to take me to Fox House in the full kit with guns. I was in Texas behind the rocks not Derbyshire. Mother took me to see Tex Ritta, I think at The Playhouse, in 1955 – 5th. Birthday. She thought it would be a cowboy show. Turned out to a Country & Western Singer. I was so bored. Used to have Cowboys like some lads had soldiers. Only threw them out last month. There used to be a cowboy on TV around 7.00 on a Saturday night – Cheyenne Bodey – Big bloke.

Tex Ritter was a Country and Western singer as well as a B movie cowboy.

I am surprised nobodies mentioned a T.V. favourite of mine from the fifties Wyatt Earp (Hugh O'Brian) just been listening to the theme tune on You Tube and the words came flooding back after all this time.

Must mention a proper cowboy who came into films through his horsemanship, Ben Johnson (Sgt Tyree in She Wore A Yellow ribbon) a stalwart in many a great western.

Shane

Rio Grande

Major Dundee

The Wild Bunch

Cheyenne Autumn

The Undefeated

Ben Johnson never the star but always a star turn.

Was "Rio Grande" the John Wayne film were he and Harry Carey Jr road "Roman style" for the Sargent, (Victor Mclagen).

Was "Rio Grande" the John Wayne film were he and Harry Carey Jr road "Roman style" for the Sargent, (Victor Mclagen).

Yes that's the one. Looked it up and was surprised to find that Harry Carey Jr did his own stunt riding, Ben Johnson was a stunt rider and Horse riding double for many actors before officially becoming an actor. Glad you mentioned Victor McLaglan perhaps not a cowboy proper but his performances as the comical sergeants in the John Ford Cavalry trilogy (She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande and Fort Apache) still make me smile no matter how many times I've seen them. Must also give mention to two other favourites from the John Ford Stock Company, Ward Bond (Seth Adams in Wagon Train) great actor who appeared with his mate John Wayne in many cowboy films. Hank Worden (Mose Harper in The Searchers) another Rodeo rider, everybody knows the face, not many know the name another regular in John Wayne movies.

Yes that's the one. Looked it up and was surprised to find that Harry Carey Jr did his own stunt riding, Ben Johnson was a stunt rider and Horse riding double for many actors before officially becoming an actor. Glad you mentioned Victor McLaglan perhaps not a cowboy proper but his performances as the comical sergeants in the John Ford Cavalry trilogy (She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande and Fort Apache) still make me smile no matter how many times I've seen them. Must also give mention to two other favourites from the John Ford Stock Company, Ward Bond (Seth Adams in Wagon Train) great actor who appeared with his mate John Wayne in many cowboy films. Hank Worden (Mose Harper in The Searchers) another Rodeo rider, everybody knows the face, not many know the name another regular in John Wayne movies.

Harry Carey Jr's father, Harry Carey believe it or not, was a famous cowboy superstar of the silent movies .

John Wayne, Harry Carey and Harry Carey Jr first appeared together in the film "Red River"...

John Wayne also called Harry Carey snr the greatest western actor of all time and at the end of "The Searchers" he paid tribute to him by using one of his trademark gestures of resting his left arm on his right as he walks out of the door.

Incidentally the actress he was walking away from in that scene was Olive Carey, Harry Careys Widow and Harry Carey Jr' Mom.....

What was the name of Tonto's Horse ?

hiya i don't remember tonto's horse but i do remember a film of the lone ranger and tonto when the lone ranger was shot and he thought he was a gonner and when tonto bent over him the lone ranger said " tonto i've got to know what did the word keemusabi mean tell m e old friend" i cannot keemusabi, "oh tell me before i go please" well alright it means you look a right xxxxxxxx in that mask. ha ha

Archived