Who Remembers Ma Peggin A Rug??

old tup

Back in the days after the war when I was an innocent little Tup money was tight and there was not much spare for luxuries.Not like nowadays our parents couldn,t imagine the things we take for granted even though we are in a recession at the present time.Everybody had to make do and mend,one thing I remember was my mother and a lot of others at the time pegging rugs.They used as a base sacking cloth through which they would pull assorted strips of old cloth in bright colours.I remember the tool used it was pointed to push through then you pressed a lever and it opened on the tip to grip the strip of cloth which was pulled back and secured.Many rugs were made like this costing next to nothing a fond memory of my childhood many moons ago,anybody remember things like this when you were young??.:D:)

When i was a lad in the North East it was a popular way to recycle old clothes, i can remember my sister cutting up cloth into strips for my gran who would make these rugs.

She had a saying when i went around to see her on my way home from school, as soon as i was in the door she'd say "tek ye coat off, i'm not mekin a rug"

I used to make newspaper knots for her to get the fire going in a morning to.

Back in the days after the war when I was an innocent little Tup money was tight and there was not much spare for luxuries.Not like nowadays our parents couldn,t imagine the things we take for granted even though we are in a recession at the present time.Everybody had to make do and mend,one thing I remember was my mother and a lot of others at the time pegging rugs.They used as a base sacking cloth through which they would pull assorted strips of old cloth in bright colours.I remember the tool used it was pointed to push through then you pressed a lever and it opened on the tip to grip the strip of cloth which was pulled back and secured.Many rugs were made like this costing next to nothing a fond memory of my childhood many moons ago,anybody remember things like this when you were young??.:D:)

yes and dint they collect dirt

Yes we would peg rugs.

Any old clothes beyond wearing were cut into strips and used. We too used a pointed peg-- we were either to poor for the real thing or because during the war we had to make do and mend.

My fingers had blisters with rhe sacking and my feet had chillblains through wearing wellies. We sat in front of the yorkshire range with feet on the rug as the rest of the floor covering was cold linolium.

Our rugs were just multi coloured but some ladies made their rugs a work of art with beautiful patterns.

I thought that the story of our lives were pegged into the rugs

hazel

Thanks for the memory, my mother used to call the tool she used a prodder(it was a dolly peg broke into two pieces) I can hear her now saying go and see if Aunt Mary has got a bit of red cloth for the diamond int middle. She would put it over the washing line in the back yard and beat it with a brush every Thursday you couldnt see a thing for the dust and muck that came out of it after it had been in use for a few weeks.

Archived